Khloé Kardashian couldn’t “keep up” with her famous family members as her husband, former Los Angeles Lakers player Lamar Odom, fell down a dark rut in 2013. In her new book, “Strong Looks Better Naked,” the youngest Kardashian sister wrote she asked producers for a secret break from the E! reality show “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.”

With her family falling apart, Kardashian, 31, didn’t give a specific reason why she had to temporarily leave. One of the veteran producers was “very surprised” since she hadn’t asked for a break since the show premiered in 2007.

The request alarmed the producer, who wasn’t named in the memoir. “She took me aside and asked what was wrong,” Kardashian said, according to Radar Online. “I told her, ‘Nothing. I just need some family time.’ But she knew. And many others on the set suspected. How could they not?”

Khloe Kardashian Ex-NBA player Lamar Odom reportedly told his wife, "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" star Khloé Kardashian, to leave his hospital room. Photo: Us Weekly

Kardashian tried to hide Odom’s meltdown and she couldn’t do it if she was constantly filmed. “I was living 90 percent of my life in front of the cameras, but the other 10 percent was and is sacred,” she said. “But I needed the time.”

Kardashian has been by Odom’s bedside since he was hospitalized for a supposed overdose at a brothel outside of Las Vegas Oct. 13. Weeks later, the recovering star wants her to leave, Us Weekly wrote in an exclusive report Wednesday. “Lamar said he needed space and wanted to be alone,” a source said. “He told her to get out.” However, a Kardashian insider said she was never told to leave and the reality star is "focused on making sure Lamar is stabilized.” 

“Strong Looks Better Naked,” which dropped on bookshelves Tuesday, retails for $12.99 on Kindle and $17.88 in hardcover. 

Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella