UPDATE: 1:33 a.m. EST — Police officials in Las Vegas said that the woman driver who hit pedestrians on the sidewalk in Las Vegas Strip Sunday night, injuring over 30 people and killing at least one, may have crashed her car intentionally. Addressing the media, Deputy Chief Brett Zimmerman said that initial investigations reveal that though the act was not a terrorist attempt, it may have been intentional.

Police officials said, according to Fox5 Las Vegas, a local affiliate of Fox News, that the 3-year-old child with the woman in the car was unharmed.


Original story:

One person died and over 30 people were injured after a car drove into pedestrians on the sidewalk of the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday night, causing the area to be cordoned off by authorities, police officials said at a press conference. According to sources cited by local news network KSNV News3LV, the driver -- a woman -- was drunk and had a 3-year-old child with her in the vehicle. 

The driver is under police custody, officials said. KSNV News3LV reported that the woman, who has not been identified yet, drove away from the scene. However, she later turned herself over to security at the Tuscany Suites & Casino.

Police officials also said at the conference, according to KTNV, a local ABC News affiliate, that among those injured, six people were in a critical condition and four others had been treated and released.

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval, reportedly said in a statement Sunday that the state will provide any help to ensure the safety of tourists and residents. 

"I have spoken with Sheriff Joe Lombardo and will remain in contact with him as this incident continues to evolve and additional information is released," Sandoval said, adding: "Kathleen [his wife] and I extend our deepest sympathies to all who are affected by this shocking and tragic event. Additionally, I would like to thank the first responders and the medical professionals who are caring for the victims this evening."

The crash happened in front of Paris Hotel & Casino and Planet Hollywood at 9 p.m. EST, near the area where the 2015 Miss Universe beauty pageant was being held Sunday night.

According to a report by the Associated Press, which cited Danita Cohen, spokeswoman for University Medical Center in Las Vegas, about 11 people had been taken to the facility after the crash.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has since closed the Las Vegas Boulevard between Harmon and Flamingo Road. Several police and fire trucks were reportedly present at the site.