Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, six of which were found in his body, according to results of a toxicology test released Wednesday by the New York City medical examiner's office.

The Australian actor, 28, was found dead January 22 in a Manhattan apartment by a masseuse and housekeeper.

Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine, the office said in a statement.

We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications.

Ledger's body has been flown home to Australia for a private burial, after a public memorial service was planned in Los Angeles. His father, Kim, mother Sally Ledger Bell and sister Kate all returned to Perth Tuesday.

Ledger's father, Kim, said while no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy,'' the Associated Press reported, citing a statement distributed through the actor's publicist,

Heath was nominated for an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain, in 2005, where he met his ex, actress Michelle Williams. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, but the couple split up last year.

My heart is broken, Williams said in a statement released last week. Please respect our need to grieve privately.

Larry Williams, father of Ledger's onetime fiancée Michelle Williams, called the actor a great talent and a doting father to his two-year-old daughter, Matilda.

Ledger latest work was The Dark Night, a sequel to 2005's Batman Begins that recently finished filming in which he stars as the Joker. Other film credits included The Patriot in 2000, Monster's Ball in 2001 and I'm Not There in 2007.