Canadian singer, songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen died aged 82 at his home in Los Angeles on Thursday. The news was confirmed with an announcement on his official Facebook page.
“It is with profound sorrow we report that legendary poet, songwriter and artist, Leonard Cohen has passed away. We have lost one of music’s most revered and prolific visionaries. A memorial will take place in Los Angeles at a later date. The family requests privacy during their time of grief,” the statement said.
A memorial for Cohen will take place in Los Angeles at a later date.
Here are some quotes to remember Cohen, who was called "the high priest of pathos" and the "godfather of gloom."
- "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
- "Prayer is translation. A man translates himself into a child asking for all there is in a language he has barely mastered."
- "In dreams the truth is learned that all good works are done in the absence of a caress."
- “At a certain point, if you still have your marbles and are not faced with serious financial challenges, you have a chance to put your house in order. It’s a cliché, but it’s underestimated as an analgesic on all levels.”
- “My life was filled with great disorder, with chaos, and I achieved a little discipline there. So I decided to return to music.”
- “I think marriage is the hottest furnace of the spirit today. Much more difficult than solitude, much more challenging for people who want to work on themselves. It’s a situation in which there are no alibis, excruciating most of the time … but it’s only in this situation that any kind of work can be done.”
- "A woman watches her body uneasily, as though it were an unreliable ally in the battle for love."
- "This is the most challenging activity that humans get into, which is love. You know, where we have the sense that we can't live without love. That life has very little meaning without love."
- "The older I get, the surer I am that I'm not running the show."
- “Act the way you’d like to be and soon you’ll be the way you act.”