Liverpool look set to be one of the most active clubs before the transfer window slams shut on Friday evening. Brendan Rodgers is eager to continue to reshape the Liverpool squad, but it is widely believed that he needs to raise funds from player sales in order to add to his summer signings.
"The club financially needs repair," Rodgers said, according to Sky Sports. "So to sign the players linked, unfortunately I don't have the ability to do that--not in this window anyway."
Rodgers also appeared to be making attempts to push some of his fringe players toward the exit-particularly Andy Carroll.
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player but he's been excellent in his attitude and acceptance of where he is at," Rodgers revealed.
"But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have £35 million players as third-choice strikers."
West Ham are thought to have been the only club to present a package for Carroll that would be acceptable to Liverpool, although the England international is said to be unwilling to join the London club. According to the Daily Mail, however, West Ham will launch a final bid for the striker before the transfer deadline.
Carroll is believed to be willing to accept a return to Newcastle, although their manager Alan Pardew has played down the prospects of completing a deal.
The money recouped by the potential sale of Carroll could be crucial to Rodgers' plans to strengthen his squad, with the Mail believing that it will enable the Reds to launch a firm offer for Arsenal's Theo Walcott.
It was revealed on Wednesday that Walcott had turned down Arsenal's contract offer, leaving him in a precarious situation with just a year remaining on his current deal. While Arsenal have stated that they have no plans to sell the England winger at this stage, a serious offer would doubtless test that resolve.
Liverpool along with Manchester City and Chelsea are believed to be monitoring Walcott's situation.
If Carroll was to depart, it would leave Liverpool short on options up front with just Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini as established strikers. That has prompted speculation as to who Liverpool may seek as a replacement.
The Sun reports on Thursday that am ambitious move for Athletic Bilbao's Fernando Llorente will be launched. The Spain international is entering the last year of his contract and has had very public and acrimonious negotiations with Athletic Club.
However, last season's Europa League runners-up have thus far steadfastly refused to negotiate for the 27-year-old's sale, with the player having a €35 million (£27.7m) release clause.
Even if Carroll were to be sold, that looks a price that it is hard to envisage Liverpool paying.
A more realistic target to bring goals to the Liverpool side may well be Clint Dempsey. Although mainly from an attacking midfield role, the United States international scored 17 goals in the Premier League last season.
Dempsey has been continually linked to Liverpool this summer, yet the Reds have yet to make a firm bid for the player. The 29-year-old has made his desire to leave Craven Cottage clear and has not featured for Fulham this season.
With Sunderland also interested, Fulham boss Martin Jol has confirmed that they are prepared to let Dempsey leave.
"We know exactly what we want and if other clubs come up with the right deal we will probably do it," he said, according to the Independent.
Goal.com has reported that Liverpool have entered negotiations with Fulham and are looking to doing a part-exchange deal for Dempsey worth £7 million. Having recently sold Moussa Dembele to Tottenham, it is believed that Charlie Adam may well be one player that would appeal to Fulham.