Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has attempted to calm expectations that the Reds will be spending heavily to reinforce the squad in the January transfer window.
With Liverpool sitting 10th in the Premier League table, following Wednesday’s 3-1 defeat at Stoke, there is a clamor for new arrivals at Anfield. Rodgers, though, has claimed that January will not be the time for major upheaval.
“We won't be overly busy in January but some reinforcements will be nice, just the addition of some firepower to help us at the top end of the field,” he said, according to Sky Sports.
"There won't be a great deal of business done, we are probably just trying to get some of the business done which we hoped to do in the summer.
"The budget was going to be tight this year, for a number of reasons, but we will be doing something because it is the need of the group.
"From next season the purse strings should loosen a bit more but, in terms of this season, it was always on the understanding it was going to be tight in terms of finance."
The priority is sure to be increasing the squad’s forward options with Luis Suarez currently the only fit and established forward. A move for Daniel Sturridge is expected to be announced in the coming days, but Liverpool have also been linked with Wigan’s Franco Di Santo by the Daily Mirror.
Rodgers worked with the Argentinean when the pair were at Chelsea and is said to be monitoring his situation with the 23-year-old’s contract set to expire next summer. Liverpool could either try to sign Di Santo in a cut-price January deal or on a free transfer next summer.
The signing of Di Santo is unlikely to excite Liverpool fans desperate for their side to begin being less profligate in front of goal. Di Santo has scored just three goals in 18 Premier League appearances this season after a record of seven goals in 33 league outings last term.
Rodgers has also previously hinted that he will be looking to bring someone in to add to their attacking options out wide. Blackpool’s Tom Ince is thought to be top of Liverpool’s wanted list, although other options may also be under consideration.
One of those targets is reported to be Lyon’s Michel Bastos. The Brazil international has operated predominantly on the left wing, but has also been deployed as a full back.
Bastos has revealed that he is aware of speculation linking him with a move away from the Ligue 1 title contenders, but that he has no desire to depart.
"I don't want to leave now. I want to stay,” he said, according to Sky Sports.
"During the winter break I will not go back to Brazil, I will stay at Lyon to work with the fitness coach.
"In a transfer both parties have to agree. If I see that it is not good for me, I will not leave.
"At the start of the season I did ask to leave, but things have changed.
Liverpool may also pursue a loan move for Barcelona forward Isaac Cuenca, who has reportedly been on the club’s radar for several months. The 21-year-old is expected to return to fitness in the near future after missing the first half of the season with a knee injury.
According to TalkSport, however, Valencia may be heading both Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to secure Cuenca for the remainder of the season.
With Pepe Reina committing several high-profile errors in recent times, it has been speculated that Liverpool could target a goalkeeper next month. The Daily Mirror reports that the Reds are preparing a bid to sign Birmingham youngster Jack Butland. It is claimed that the Championship club need to sell the 19-year-old in order to raise funds, with Liverpool leading rivals Everton in the race to sign the England international.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.