Liverpool suffered another disappointing result at the weekend as once again a positive performance failed to be converted into victory, in large part due to a lack of a cutting edge up front. Defeat to Manchester United on Sunday extended Liverpool’s winless run to begin the season to five games. With just four goals scored in that spell, the club’s failure to bring in at least one striker before the end of the summer transfer window is appearing increasingly costly.
The eyes of many Liverpool fans will already be cast ahead to January and thoughts of goal-scorers that may be recruited.
High on the club’s list of targets could well be Arsenal’s Theo Walcott. Liverpool were linked to the 23-year-old over the summer, as reports emerged of his rejection of a new contract offer. With less than a year left on his current deal, the England international could leave for a cut price fee come January.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger recently suggested that a move in the next transfer window was a possibility. For his part, Walcott has come out on Monday to explain his side of events.
“It has been a frustrating start for me, because of false speculation about me and the money situation," Walcott told Sky Sports News.
"For me, it has never been about money. It has always been a football decision for me.
"If I had opportunities in the summer to go but if I wanted to go, I would have gone, if it was about money. It has never been that.
"The main factors for me now are I want to start playing up front. That is all it is, really.”
Walcott has been deployed as a winger throughout his career with Arsenal and England, but his desire to play as a striker could make a move to Liverpool enticing for both the player and the Reds.
It appears unlikely that Wenger will satisfy Walcott’s demands, while Liverpool’s lack of striking options may mean that Rodgers can offer him the role he craves.
Liverpool could also improve their attacking options with a move for Malaga attacking midfielder Isco. Liverpool, along with Premier League rivals Tottenham, are said to be pushing hard to sign the 20-year-old in January, according to The People. Both clubs are said to have sent their scouts to watch the Spain Under-21 international in action against Zenit St Petersburg in the Champions League last week. If indeed that report is true then both clubs’ interest is sure to have only increased after Isco scored two sensational goals.
Despite his current status, Isco could be available for a knockdown price due to Malaga’s financial struggles.
In other speculation, Liverpool have been linked with a free transfer move for Portuguese winger Ricardo Quaresma. The 28-year-old is currently training with the youth team with Besiktas after a row with the club’s chairman over his refusal to sign a new contract.
According to Metro, Liverpool could open negotiations for a pre-contract agreement in January with a view to the troubled former Chelsea and Inter player arriving next summer.