Liverpool sparked frenetic waves of speculation on Wednesday when a story on their owners' website claimed that Clint Dempsey had already signed for the club.

The article, posted on the homepage of the Fenway Sports Group, stated that Liverpool had added Clint Dempsey to a team that came within a game of winning the FA Cup. The words were quickly removed but the embarrassing error did little to impress Dempsey's current club Fulham.

We have received no offers from any club for Clint Dempsey, a Fulham spokesperson said, according to the Guardian. We would discourage any club from making a bid for him.

However, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers claimed later in the day that the club were very much interested in signing the U.S. international midfielder this summer.

Clint is a player we've enquired about, it is as simple as that, Rodgers told Liverpool's website.

Ian Ayre, our managing director, has spoken with the club to see what the position is. That is where we're at.

He's a very talented player but we don't like to talk about other clubs' players.

Given that Dempsey has just a year to run on his deal at Craven Cottage and has spoken of his desire to move to a bigger club, it may just be a matter of time before Liverpool can make an official announcement of his arrival at Anfield.

As well as discussing Dempsey, Rodgers has also passed further comment on the future of Liverpool striker Andy Carroll. It was quotes from the former-Swansea boss recently that led to intense speculation that the England international would be allowed to leave this summer.

Although he ruled out a loan move, Rodgers' latest words did little to dispel the thought that Carroll does not fit into his plans at Anfield.

There has been a lot written and spoken about him but first and foremost Andy is a Liverpool player, Rodgers stated.

To consider a loan period for someone the club spent £35million on isn't something we're looking to do at this moment in time.

Liverpool would surely be less inclined to let go of their Danish defender Daniel Agger. Real Madrid are reported to have inquired about the 27-year-old and now the Daily Mail is claiming that their fierce rivals Barcelona could also be about to make a move.

The Catalan giants are said to have approached Liverpool about the center-back, but are now ready to revive their interest after being priced out of a move for Athletic Bilbao's Javi Martinez.

Agger formed an impressive partnership with Martin Skrtel last season and, given his strong ability on the ball, would seem an ideal candidate to flourish in a Brendan Rodgers side.

Key to Rodgers' short-passing style at Swansea at Swansea was midfielder Joe Allen. It was of little surprise therefore that recent reports have suggested that Rodgers could be set for a reunion with the 22-year-old at Liverpool. However, the Daily Mirror has claimed that no bids have yet been made for the £15-million-rated Welshman.