Arsenal were dumped out of the FA Cup as Manchester United dealt the Gunners a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford in the FA Cup quarter-final.

Fabio da Silva and Wayne Rooney got the goals as United put in a solid display to get back to winning ways after two consecutive losses at Chelsea and Liverpool.

It means Manchester United head to Wembley while Arsenal crashed out of a third major competition within a fortnight.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson surprised many with his starting line which included seven defenders. He deployed the brothers, Rafael and Fabio who have caught the eye in the past for their attacking prowess, on the flanks in the midfield and the ploy should have paid off when Fabio's cross was headed over by Rafael early in the game.

With Arsenal failing in the final third, United looked dangerous on the counter, and it was on one such move that they scored the opener. Fabio started the counter, and when Hernandez's diving header off a Rooney cross was blocked by Almunia, Fabio tapped it in.

Arsenal responded through Van Persie who drew a good low save from Van der Sar before heading the resulting corner wide.

For all their possession Arsenal found themselves chasing at half-time. Old Trafford was a happy place, especially after Antonio Valencia came on for Fabio - his return after breaking his leg in September.

The second half saw United keeper Van der Sar put in a brilliant performance to keep his side in the game. He twice saved Koscielny from close range shortly after the interval. It proved to be an important save as Rooney doubled the lead seconds later.

Rafael surged into the area and squared low for Hernandez, who saw his shot blocked. However, Rooney was at hand to place a smart header to the far post.

Arsenal continued their possession play but found it difficult to get past the brilliant Van der Sar. The 41-year-old saved remarkably from Chamakh and Rosicky to keep the score in United's favour.

At the other end, Almunia was called into action and he responded well with a double save from Hernandez. Arsenal were finding it difficult and were dealt a major blow when Djourou injured his shoulder in a scramble and left the field on a stretcher. Since Wenger had used all his substitutes, Arsenal finished the game with ten men.

It was great victory for United, displaying their mental strength to comeback from two successive loses to book a place at Wembley and the FA Cup last four.