Manchester United have been dealt another blow in the efforts to rebuild their squad, with Toni Kroos not going anywhere this summer, according to Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
The Bayern midfielder, who will come up against United in the first leg of the sides’ Champions League quarterfinal tie on Tuesday, is widely believed to be one of manager David Moyes’s chief transfer targets. Speculation over a possible move has been spurred by the fact that the 24-year-old has yet to agree an extension to a contract that expires in the summer of 2015.
Kroos has previously admitted interest in a move to the Premier League and suggested he would evaluate his future in the summer. Meanwhile, Bayern’s honorary president Franz Beckenbauer has also weighed in on the issue, stating that the club would not be held to ransom over Kroos’s demands. But speaking to reporters before departing to Manchester on Monday, Rummenigge was adamant that Kroos would be staying for the coming season, at least.
“Toni Kroos is sure to play in a Bayern Munich shirt next year as well,” he said, according to The Guardian.
And Manchester United could also face losing out on another German midfield target, with Borussia Dortmund revealing that they have offered a new deal to Ilkay Gundogan. The 23-year-old has not played since suffering a back injury in Germany’s friendly with Paraguay in August. He is still thought to have plenty of suitors, with United’s interest widely reported as is that from Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid. Indeed, the Daily Express has reported that Barcelona sent their doctor to check on the progress of Gundogan’s recovery last week.
With the player out of contract in the summer of 2015, Dortmund are now keen to resolve the issue before the end of the season.
“Ilkay Gundogan is an important player of our squad who we want to keep at our club,” Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke told Sport-Bild Weekly, reports the Daily Mirror.
“We have submitted a contract offer to Ilkay Gundogan and we are expecting to hear from him about it. We are certainly not going to need to wait until the summer to see him reply.”
There is a contrasting situation with yet another midfielder strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford. Paul Pogba has been a major success at Juventus since leaving United two years ago and it is believed that Moyes is keen to bring the France international back to the club. Pogba is also widely thought to be a major target for Paris Saint-Germain this summer. It had been reported that Pogba was set to extend his current deal at the Serie A leaders, which has just over two years left to run, but agent Mino Raiola has now said that talks have been postponed until after the World Cup.
“Right now he is focused on battling for the championship and winning the Europa League with Juventus," Raiola told Italian publication Tuttosport. "After that he will focus on the World Cup so it's only right that he's thinking about matters on the pitch over the next couple of months.
“Pogba is happy at Juventus and still has a long contract in Turin, until 2016, so there’s no rush. No urgency. There are no problems.”