Everton manager Roberto Martinez has issued an angry response to reports that Leighton Baines has asked the club to negotiate a move to Manchester United. The Premier League champions had an offer for Baines rejected earlier in the summer and recently had a joint bid of £28 million turned down for both Baines and Marouane Fellaini. But Baines was now said to have been eager for a move to transpire before Monday’s deadline.

“No,” said Martinez in response, according to The Guardian. “You are going to get so many stories. The two players have been true professionals and that is what I want, players that are dedicated to the club and dedicated to the team.

“I am not going to entertain any rumors or speculation. At the moment I really feel for the game. We are concentrating on rumors too much. There is nothing to tell. If there is anything to tell, we will tell our fans straight away."

David Moyes, though, appears set to test his former club’s resolve to hang onto two of the star men during his reign at Goodison Park. According to the Daily Mirror, United will return to Everton with a £38 million bid for the pair.

It appears that Everton would be more inclined toward allowing Fellaini to leave, with Martinez thought to have already lined up James McCarthy, from his former club Wigan, as a replacement. The Belgian midfielder would also appear to fit greater into United’s needs. With Patrice Evra continuing his return to form last season at the beginning of this campaign, a new and expensive left-back would not appear to be a priority.

Meanwhile, stories linking Cesc Fabregas with a move to Old Trafford still refuse to die. United’s public courting of the Barcelona midfielder and subsequent rejection this summer has been something of an embarrassment for a club of United’s stature. While it seems that someone gave those in power in Manchester the impression that Fabregas was interested in a move, Fabregas again reiterated this week that he never considered leaving.

The Sun now claims that United will continue to monitor the situation and return with another approach for the former Arsenal captain in January, if he is not getting regular action with the Catalans. Such talk seems rather far-fetched, however. Not only is there the unlikely possibility that Fabregas will want to move on in midseason, but the fact that Fabregas would be cup-tied for the Champions League if he were to join United.

One midfielder currently at Old Trafford may have doubts about his future under Moyes. Shinji Kagawa has yet to start a match this season and there has been speculation that he could rejoin Borussia Dortmund or even move to Atletico Madrid on loan. The Japan international’s former manager at Dortmund, Jurgen Klopp, has previously spoken of his desire to reunite with Kagawa and his pain at seeing him not utilized properly at United. However, Kagawa’s agent has stated that the 24-year-old will not be moving for the time being.

"Shinji will currently not be leaving Manchester United. He wants to fight for his place," Thomas Kroth told ESPN. "Because of the Confederations Cup, he did not have a full pre-season and therefore still has a training deficit. That's why he, until now, has won hardly any playing time."

"Atletico made an enquiry, although this was never an issue for Shinji."

Follow Jason Le Miere on Twitter