Toni Kroos has revealed that he is interested in a move to the Premier League and, to the doubtless joy of reported-suitors Manchester United, that Champions League action might not be a requirement for him should he leave Bayern Munich.
Kroos is currently locked in a dispute with the current European champions over the renegotiation of his contract, which is set to expire in the summer of 2015. While Bayern manager Pep Guardiola and sporting director Matthias Sammer have recently insisted they want to keep the midfielder at the club, the two parties are still thought to be some way apart in negotiations.
Strengthening his midfield looks set to be a priority for United manager David Moyes. Kroos, 24, was thought to feature highly on his list of targets in January, with that interest again likely to be explored this summer. And Kroos has suggested that he could be receptive to those advances.
"It is no secret that the Premier League is a possibility for me," he said, according to The Guardian. "But no one has come to any agreement with me and it will stay like this until the summer and, some time, a decision will be made. It is also no secret that the Premier League is not a bad league.
"I think I am a person where a lot is possible for me. But I have to think about this for myself to reach a complete decision. There will be a decision in the future but one without giving you [the media] any time frame."
Kroos was also asked if he would consider joining a club who were not in the Champions League -- as is set to be Manchester United’s predicament next season. "I will consider everything," he responded. "If I should leave."
A major overhaul of United’s squad is expected to be conducted at the end of the season, with several players both arriving and departing Old Trafford. One player that United are unlikely to want to lose is Robin van Persie, yet speculation is continuing about the Dutchman’s unhappiness at the club. A return to his former club Arsenal is said to be his preferred choice.
While United would doubtless strenuously resist a transfer to a major rival, the Sunday People has claimed that they would be acquiescing to the striker’s departure if they secured a deal for Edinson Cavani. Moyes is thought to have tracked the Uruguay international throughout the season. Still, with Cavani in just his first season following a massive £57 million move form Napoli, a move to Old Trafford looks an unlikely prospect in the coming months.
With doubts about the futures of Patrice Evra and Alex Buttner, a new left-back is one of the players that is all-but certain to arrive in the next transfer window. Southampton’s young sensation Luke Shaw has long been seen as Manchester United’s first choice to fill the position and now the Daily Express has reported that the 18-year-old could be sought as part of a double swoop with teammate Adam Lallana.
The Southampton captain has been with the club since their days in England’s third tier and has continued to show that he can thrive at ever higher levels. Last November, he was handed his England debut and last week he made a starring cameo in the friendly win over Denmark. Yet given that he is an attacking midfielder who, while often starting wide, likes to come inside, it is difficult to see how he would fit into a United team that already has Wayne Rooney, Juan Mata and Adnan Januzaj.
Shaw, on the other hand, would appear to be an ideal signing. The problem is that he is also seen that way by Chelsea, who just happen to be the team that Shaw supports.