Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini has given a strong suggestion that he wants to follow manager David Moyes to Manchester United. The powerful Belgian has been linked with a move to Old Trafford long before Everton boss Moyes was announced as the man to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson beginning July 1. Such speculation has only increased in recent weeks and now Fellaini has hinted that he is open to a transfer, while praising the man that signed him for £15 million five years ago.
“If I’m leaving Everton, I say if, it will depend on lots of factors,” Fellaini said, according to the Sunday Mirror.
“I only want to go to a club where the manager really wants me. In 2008, Everton did everything to convince me, especially David Moyes. He made me the player I am now.”
Fellaini, who is also thought to be on the radar of Chelsea, added that he hopes to play in his preferred position as a deeper-lying midfielder in the future.
“I’m happy with my season, although I didn’t play in my best position,” he explained. “I’m not a number 10. David Moyes predicts my future as a defensive midfielder, but due to a lack of offensive power, he plays me up front.
“In the future I want to play as a six or an eight. From there, I can create danger and score goals.”
United have long lacked an all-round midfielder of the type that Fellaini describes and a deal for the 25-year-old would appear to be a perfect fit. Fellaini has a clause in his contract allowing him to join a club in the Champions League for £23 million.
Another of Manchester United’s reported targets, Radamel Falcao, also looks set to be on the move this summer. The Atletico Madrid striker has been linked to many of Europe’s top clubs in recent months, with latest reports purporting that Monaco were closing in on a deal. It had earlier been claimed that United were front-runners for the Colombia international’s signature. What does appear certain is that Falcao will not be staying at the Vicente Calderon.
"Atletico knows how to change good strikers," Atletico chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin told Sky Sports. "Fernando Torres, Forlan, Aguero and now Falcao. We don't know who exactly will be the next one but we know Atletico will have a strong team next season.
"Before the start of the season we talked with the player and we promised him that if he kept the same performance and helped us to the UEFA Champions League, Atletico would help him. Every decision that he takes, Atletico will be with him."
With Monaco and Manchester City thought to be prepared to meet Falcao’s €60 million (£50.1m) buyout clause, United look unlikely to procure the 27-year-old. And United could also be set to miss out to nouveau-riche Monaco for the signing of Falcao’s former Porto teammate James Rodriguez.
Sky Italy has reported that the newly promoted Ligue 1 side have already agreed to sign the exciting Colombian winger and his Porto colleague Joao Moutinho for a combined fee of €70 million (£59.5m). It has long been thought that Rodriguez, 21, would end up at Old Trafford.
Meanwhile, there appears to be an increasing chance that Wayne Rooney will be staying at Manchester United next season after all. There has been fervent speculation over the forward’s future since it was revealed that he asked to leave the club having fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford.
But, according to the Guardian, new United boss Moyes is keen to keep the 27-year-old and will attempt to persuade him that he has an important role to play. Rooney is also believed to be open to fresh discussions now that Moyes has replaced Sir Alex Ferguson. The England international’s future is still dependent, however, on negotiations for a new contract, with Rooney set to enter the final two years of a deal worth in excess of £250,000 a week.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.