Highly rated Torino central defender Angelo Ogbonna has said that he's flattered that Manchester United reportedly undertook a scouting mission to watch him in action on Sunday.
The 24-year-old has been linked with several big clubs, both in Italy and England, over the past year, with United frequently rumored to be monitoring his progress. Ogbonna, though, says that he's not yet considering his next move.
"If they came to see me, this obviously flatters me, but right now I don't think about the future," he said, according to Sky Sports.
"I live in the present and, just like all my team mates, I think only to the Torino's salvation."
In recent days, there has also been further speculation about Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney.
Speaking on French television Sunday evening, former adviser for Paris Saint-Germain, Michel Moulin, claimed that Rooney’s speculated move to the French capital was already a “done deal.” Moulin may no longer be employed by PSG, but his comments follow strong rumors that the big-spending French club is determined to secure the England international this summer, and that, moreover, United is prepared to sell.
Speculation of United’s interest in strikers Radamel Falcao and Robert Lewandowski has cast further doubt about Rooney’s Old Trafford future.
Unsurprisingly, all parties directly involved continue to deny any negotiations about a transfer, including PSG director of football Leonardo.
“On [Cristiano] Ronaldo, there has never been an offer,” he said, regarding rumors of a move for the former United star, according to ESPN. “I've never heard anything about Rooney or [Edinson] Cavani either. I do not rule out big signings, but only if there is a suitable opportunity.
“We do want a larger squad with adequate cover in all areas in order to avoid the sort of problems we had in January in midfield with all the injuries and suspensions.”
PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti went further, and said he didn’t think a deal for Rooney was feasible.
"Wayne Rooney is one of the best strikers in the world,” he told L’Equipe. “I think he is impossible to buy. He is an idol for Manchester United."
There have also been reports about possible United signings. While the Daily Mirror notes that United sent scout Martin Ferguson to Newcastle’s Europa League quarterfinal second leg with Benfica last week to run the rule of Yohan Cabaye, it has also claimed that the Portuguese club’s Ezequiel Garay and Nicolas Gaitan were also being scrutinized.
United’s links to both players are nothing new.
With manager Sir Alex Ferguson believed to be looking to reinforce his defense this summer, Garay is seen as a leading target. The 26-year-old is thought to be valued at £15 million ($23 million).
It has been rumore for more than a year that United is interested in Garay’s fellow Argentina international Gaitan. At one point last season, there were reports that a deal had been reached to take the attacking midfielder to Old Trafford, although a move never came to fruition.
While United subsequently signed Shinji Kagawa, Gaitan could yet be targeted to take up a position as a left-sided midfielder