Manchester United are yet to make an offer for Juan Mata, but have a strong interest in the Chelsea attacking midfielder, according to widespread reports.
The Daily Telegraph is among the publications which claims, based on information from Old Trafford sources, that no bid has yet been made for the unsettled Spain international, but the club are considering launching a bid. Mata was linked to United in the summer as reports first emerged that he was not favored by Jose Mourinho. That belief has been borne out with the man who was Chelsea’s Player of the Year for the past two seasons starting only half of the club’s Premier League matches thus far this campaign.
Mourinho has continued to insist, though, that Mata remains an important part of his squad. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea would consider losing him in mid-season, especially to another Premier League club. According to the Telegraph, it would take an offer of around £37 million to try and tempt Chelsea into a deal.
While undoubtedly a wonderful player, there will be doubts about whether Mata fulfills United’s biggest need, which is still in central midfield. The fact that David Moyes has failed to entrust the similarly skilled Shinji Kagawa in the No.10 role, which Mata has flourished in, will also raise question marks about a deal which would smash the club’s previous transfer record of £30.75 million for Dimitar Berbatov.
The pressure on Moyes to bolster his squad in the January transfer window has continued after Manchester United’s latest bad result -- losing 3-1 to Chelsea on Sunday. Yet, Moyes has again presented a pessimistic tone when discussing whether he will secure his targets this month, and insists he won’t go down the route of short-term solutions.
"Not because of results,” he said, according to Sky Sports.
"The club know exactly what we want to do and the direction we want to go and the type of players we want to bring to the club and a lot aren't available in this window. If we could get any of them we would do, we are trying but more than likely most people know it is difficult.
"I think the club have always said it is long-term, we know there is a job to be done and we have an idea of players we would like to bring in and we would like them now, but more than likely won't be."
One target that Moyes may struggle to attain is Newcastle United’s Yohan Cabaye. While it appears that the France international midfielder could be secured this summer -- for the right price -- Paris Saint-Germain now look to be firmly in the driving seat.
French TV channel Canal+ claimed over the weekend that the Ligue 1 leaders had agreed a €26 million (£21.4m) fee with Newcastle. While that report may have jumped the gun, PSG coach Laurent Blanc has hinted that he is keen to bringing Cabaye in this month. United may well have major hesitations about paying that sort of figure for a 28-year-old.
Meanwhile, the Sunday People has put forward the sensational claim that Manchester United have lined up a £55 million deal for Edinson Cavani, should Wayne Rooney leave Old Trafford. Such a move is difficult to imagine given that the Uruguay forward only moved to Paris Saint-Germain last summer. It is suggested that United fear Rooney, who has just 18 months remaining on his contract, will look to leave the club after this summer’s World Cup.
The latest rumor involving United dropped on Tuesday, when a Brazilian commentator asserted that a deal had been done to take Bayern Munich center-back Dante to Manchester United. However, the Brazil international’s agent has told Goal.com that, despite being aware of United’s interest in the player, there has been no contact. With the 30-year-old having just 18 months remaining on his contract, talk of United could be a mere negotiating tactic with Bayern.