Louis van Gaal has suggested that Manchester United are in for a hectic last few days of the transfer window. The arrival of Ángel di María this week took United’s summer spending to around £135 million, yet Van Gaal revealed that, having now had time to assess his squad, several players could leave, and he wants more to arrive ahead of next Monday’s deadline.

“Before I started, I said that I shall give every player a fair chance and I have done that,” he said, according to Manchester United’s official website. “The players that were not in the United States played against MK Dons [in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night]. I have given players a chance before Sept. 1 to move or not. It is their choice. I have always said that. I don't think it was good if I came as manager and wanted 11 new players. I have given the players a chance here.

“I don't know about transfers between now and Monday because I am not the one who can choose," he explained. "I give my opinion and the player can do what he wants with that opinion. Of course, I shall say which players I want [to sign] and which are better to leave but Ed [Woodward] is handling the transfer market. I don't interfere in that process. 

Shinji Kagawa could unsurprisingly be the next man through the exit door. The Japanese playmaker’s future at Old Trafford has looked precarious since Van Gaal publicly revealed his failure to adapt to a deeper role. And there are now strong reports that he is close to an £8 million return to the club he joined Manchester United from two years ago, Borussia Dortmund.

According to The Guardian, Danny Welbeck, Javier “Chicharito” Hernández, Anderson, Ashley Young and Tom Cleverley are all available as United aim to trim their burgeoning wage bill. It is difficult to imagine all of those players being shipped out ahead of the deadline, however. Cleverley, interesting Aston Villa, and Hernandez, a target for Valencia and Juventus, appear the likeliest to depart. Welbeck’s future could come down to whether United are willing to allow him join a potential rival for a Champions League berth.

With injuries currently ruling out Ander Herrera, Michael Carrick and Marouane Fellaini, strengthening his central midfield is surely a priority for Van Gaal. Yet there now appears little chance of securing the man long thought to be Manchester United’s first-choice midfield target, Arturo Vidal. With United having doubts about the Chilean’s knee and a deadline Juventus imposed for any deal to be completed now thought to have passed, the Italian champions insist that he will not be going anywhere this summer.

“He's a fundamental player for Juve and he will stay with us," manager Massimiliano Allegri said on Friday, reports Sky Sports. “He feels good and is training. His knee must be managed and he will start as a regular.”

The versatile Daley Blind has been viewed as another option after a successful World Cup for the Netherlands under the charge of Van Gaal. Yet the 24-year-old’s agent revealed recently that there had been no contact from Old Trafford, and Ajax have stated that the left-footer will only be allowed to leave for a massive fee.

“We believe that we currently have a strong team and want Daley to stay for another year,” director of football Marc Overmars told De Telegraaf. “Only if the absolute top price is paid will a transfer be negotiable. The management of Daley knows the current situation. Next year we will have a much more lenient policy, we will be willing to discuss with Daley and settle for a reasonable price.”

As a result of the struggles to secure Vidal and Blind, Manchester United may well be rekindling their interest in Sporting Lisbon’s 22-year-old William Carvalho. It is thought that the Premier League club were deterred by Sporting’s unwillingness to negotiate a price below his €45 million (£36m) release clause. However, The Times now reports that the Portuguese club, from which United signed defender Marcos Rojo earlier this month, could now be open to offers closer to €30 million (£24m).