As the dust settles on the dramatic events that saw Manchester City pip Manchester United to the title in the last seconds of the Premier League season, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will immediately be turning his thoughts to the campaign ahead.
A key factor of his enduring success is Ferguson's ruthless and relentless will to keep planning for the future in the aftermath of either success or failure.
For some time Eden Hazard is believed to have been top of his list of targets to renovate his squad this summer. And on Saturday France's Player of the Year appeared to confirm that he would be leaving Lille in the close season.
Two games more to play in the colors of LOSC [Lille], he tweeted.
However, the chances of Old Trafford being the 21-year-old's next destination do not look good. Last week, it was reported that Hazard told French television that he would be playing in blue next season, suggesting that it is rivals City that will beat United to his much-coveted signature.
With that deal looking unlikely, Ferguson has already made significant progress on an alternative to Hazard.
The United manger, along with his assistant Mike Phelan were both in Berlin on Saturday evening watching the DFB Pokal final, where it is believed he was taking a closer look at Borussia Dortmund's Shinji Kagawa.
The Japanese international has been strongly linked with a move to United, with the 23-year-old said to be unwilling to renew a contract that has only a year to run.
German newspaper Bild has reported that Ferguson may have also been scouting fellow Dortmund-stars, striker Robert Lewandowski and center-back Mats Hummels. All three have had outstanding seasons as Dortmund won a league and cup double--secured with a 5-2 victory over Bayern Munich on Saturday--and are likely to be in demand across Europe.
But with Dortmund already signaling their resolve to hang on to their best talent by securing Mario Gotze on a new long-term deal, United will not find it easy to procure them from the Westfalenstadion.
The German champions are not the only club who are likely to put up stern resistance to United's interest in their star men this summer. Reports in recent weeks have claimed that United will renew their interest in Tottemham's Luka Modric, a move not likely to go down well at White Hart Lane.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was unwavering in his efforts to block Chelsea's efforts to sign the Croatian platmaker last summer and his latest words suggest he will do the same toward any bids this time around.
Our squad has top players at all levels and we shall continue to seek stability and to retain key players this summer and beyond, he said, according to the Daily Mirror.
We are a club that is focusing on growth and moving forward.
As well as strengthening an under-strength midfield, Ferguson may also seek to add a top-quality right-back to his squad this summer. Rafael, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling have all played there at various points this season, without any of them doing enough to establish themselves in the position.
Metro reports that Ferguson is interested in Lille's Mathieu Debuchy as a long-term solution. The story claims that the 26-year-old is eager to move on this summer and could be available for £6.5 million.
Debuchy looked outstanding as he set up both goals marauding forward in France's 2-1 win in Germany in a friendly back in February.
Weekend reports in England have also suggested that United are weighing up a £10 million offer for Fulham's Moussa Dembele. The Daily Mail intimates that the 24-year-old is seen as a replacement for Paul Scholes at Old Trafford.
Dembele's goal-scoring record since arriving at Craven Cottage in 2010 has been less than outstanding. However, the Belgium international has been a key contributor for Martin Jol's side as he has occupied a variety of positions in midfield and attack.
Sports reporter, mainly focusing on my native sport of soccer, but also dabbling in some tennis and Formula One.