As the transfer window has moved toward its conclusion, no team has been more active than Manchester United. In the past week the club has welcomed the arrival of marquee signing Robin van Persie, as well as two players for the future in Dutch left-back Alexander Buttner and Chilean forward Angelo Henriquez.
Yet, speculation suggests that United's spending may not be over this summer. Reports in Mexico are increasingly pointing towards a serious offer being made for midfielder Hector Herrera. Pachuca sporting director, Andres Fassi has confirmed United's interest in the 22-year-old. According to Fassi's quotes in Medio Tiempo, all that is left is for a formal financial proposal to be put forward.
Herrera's star has risen sharply in recent times having been voted the best player in this summer's prestigious Toulon youth tournament as Mexico took home the trophy for the first time. The central midfielder also played a key role as his country won a maiden Olympic gold in the recent London Games.
With United's need for a midfielder having been apparent for some time, Herrera would be a welcome addition at Old Trafford.
Unsurprisingly it appears that there was little validity to reports linking Manchester United with a move for Real Madrid's Kaka. Stories had emerged earlier in the week claiming United were set for a shock move to take the Brazilian on loan.
However, Real coach Jose Mourinho has said that no offers have been made for the 30-year-old.
"Kaka's situation is completely different [to that of Nuri Sahin]," Mourinho said, according to Espn. "We have no official request for Kaka."
An offer for the unsettled former World Player of the Year always appeared unlikely following the signing of fellow-attacking midfielder Shinji Kagawa.
While United may still be in the market for further signings, there has also been speculation about players leaving Old Trafford. Having not yet signed a new contract at the club, Nani has been linked with a move away for much of the summer.
The Sun claims that United are in no rush to meet the Portuguese winger's demands for a new deal after concerns about his form toward the end of last season and in Monday's defeat to Everton. According to the report, United may even sell the 25-year-old this summer if an offer arrives of more than £25 million.
It is a very different story reported in the Daily Telegraph, however. According to the broadsheet, Nani has been assured that he remains a key part of Ferguson's plans. That is said to be true despite firm interest from Zenit St Petersburg.
Nani is not the only player to recently be linked with a move away from the Theatre of Dreams. With the signing of Van Persie, speculation had suggested that Javier Hernandez may be looking for pastures new amid fears of a diminishing role in the first team. Chelsea were even said to have made an official approach for the Mexican striker.
But the Telegraph also confirms that Hernandez is happy to fight for his place while United "will not entertain" offers for the 24-year-old.