Various reports are claiming that Arsenal have received several bids for their want-away forward Robin van Persie, with Manchester United thought to be among the clubs keenly pursing the Dutchman.
Sky Sports are among those to have claimed that offers have been tabled for Van Persie, who has indicated that he has no intention of extending his contract at the Emirates. According to the Mirror, all offers have thus far fallen some way short of what they claim is Arsenal's £25 million valuation.
Although there has been no insight as to which clubs have made their interest official, Manchester United are said to be high on the list of possible destinations for Van Persie. The Independent have reported that Juventus are Van Persie's first choice, while United follow in second, ahead of rivals Manchester City.
With clubs, including United, perhaps hesitant to spend such a large fee on a player who will turn 29 next month and has an unfortunate history of injuries, it may be that Arsenal decide to hold Van Persie to his contract. That is a scenario that Both the Times and Goal.com have suggested may yet unfold.
Van Persie is not the only forward to be linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent times. TalkSport has picked up on Robert Lewandowski's quotes that he would relish a move to the Premier League and suggested that United may be encouraged to make a bid for the Borussia Dortmund star.
United were linked with a move for the 23-year-old Poland international earlier in the summer, at the same time that they were negotiating the transfer of his former teammate Shinji Kagawa. Dortmund have strongly denied that Lewandowski will be sold this summer, however. With Lewandowski also stating that he was happy to remain at the Westfalenstadion for the time being, it is likely to take a mammoth offer to tempt Dortmund to part with the man who struck 23 Bundesliga goals last season.
It also looks unlikely that United will be signing young Atletico Madrid star Oliver Torres in the near future. Sky Sports reports that United scouted the 17-year-old midfielder back in March. With Torres having impressed as Spain claimed the Uefa Under-19 title, reports have surfaced that United may step up their interest. However, with Torres now training with the Atletico first team ahead of the new season, he has told AS that he has no desire to leave.
I have had a chance to leave before and I have not done so because my dream has always been to stay here and be a success with Atletico de Madrid, he said, according to sky Sports.
Now I hope that one day Cholo [Atletico coach Diego Simeone] has confidence in me and I can show him that I am ready.
I am conscious that I am still only 17 and that I have to work hard in order to succeed.
Speculation has continued on Wednesday about United's pursuit of Brazilian attacking midfielder Lucas Moura. United had their latest offer for the 19-year-old of close to £30 million rejected by Sao Paulo this week, despite being under the impression that it matched the Brazilian club's valuation.
The Daily Mail has now reported that United will withdraw their interest in the Brazil international with Sao Paulo claiming that they wish to hold onto their prized asset. The situation is complicated by the fact that Lucas' entitlement to a 20 percent cut from any transfer fee rises to 30 percent on August 1. It is difficult to imagine Sao Paulo receiving such a high fee for themselves beyond that date.