Happy birthday, Mariah Carey! The songbird turned 45 on Friday, March 27. To celebrate the “Obsessed” singer’s birthday, some of her most memorable quotes have been posted below, courtesy of BrainyQuote and Inspirational Stories.
1. "If you see me as just the princess, then you misunderstand who I am and what I have been through.”
2. “I try not to be a jerk. I really do. I try to be nice and cordial.”
3. “Never, never listen to anybody that tries to discourage you.”
4. “One day I promised God that if he would give me my voice back I would never smoke again. I got three octaves back after quitting.”
5. “Butterflies are always following me, everywhere I go.”
6. “My mother is Irish, my father is black and Venezuelan, and me -- I'm tan, I guess.”
7. “There is a light at the end of the tunnel... hopefully it's not a freight train!”
8. “People are like, 'What is your whole obsession with butterflies?' I'm like, 'I'm not obsessed. I like them. Can't anybody like something?'"
9. “Basically, I started singing when I started talking. Music has just been my saving grace my whole life.”
10. “I always felt like the rug could be pulled out from under me at anytime. And coming from a racially mixed background, I always felt like I didn’t really fit in anywhere.”
11. “I'm not one of those people that goes into details of my personal life on national TV to get attention. Some things are better left unsaid.”
12. “I can't wear flat shoes. My feet repel them. I was in agony. My high heels had left my feet bleeding. Laugh all you want, my feet hurt.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella