- Obama Poster Artist Shepard Fairey Fined And Sentenced To Community Service
September 07 2012 1:39 PM
Shepard Fairey, the artist behind the famous 2008 "HOPE" poster of President Barack Obama, was sentenced to two years of probation (which includes 300 hours of community service) and fined $25,000 in a New York Court on Friday.
- Jesus Fresco Ruined In Spain; Get Over It [VIDEO]
August 23 2012 10:30 PM
The botched restoration of a Jesus fresco in Spain quickly spread over the Internet Thursday. After Spanish officials thought vandals had destroyed the artwork of Jesus wearing the crown of thrones it was later revealed that an elderly parishioner had tried to touch it up the painting. In reality, she did anything but and, honestly, it’s not that big of a deal.
- National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest: The Winning Shots In 2012
August 14 2012 2:45 PM
National Geographic Traveler received more than 12,000 entries from 6,615 photographers residing in 152 countries around the globe for its 24th annual photo contest. These winning shots stood out from the pack.
- The Softer Side Of Rocco Landesman: NEA Grants Bring The Arts To Your Town
July 28 2012 6:18 PM
Earlier this month, the NEA announced the second round of grants for its ambitious nationwide initiative dubbed Our Town, in which its provides funds to struggling neighborhoods for the purpose of investing in theater, dance, music, writing and visual art.
- Banksy Tags The Olympics: US Graffiti Artist Defies Police Crackdown, Other Artists Arrests
July 26 2012 9:05 AM
As the Olympic Games draw near, Brits are excited to be at the center of the global event. Despite the public's enthusiasm, police are threatening remove any graffiti related to the Olympics. This includes works by Banksy, the notorious U.K. graffiti artist.
- Banksy Celebrates The London 2012 Olympics With New Art [PHOTOS]
July 24 2012 1:18 PM
Banksy, the pseudonymous British street artist whose graffiti is famous for dealing with a wide array of social and political themes, released a new series of wall art in honor of the upcoming 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.
- ‘Magic Art’ Thrills Museumgoers In Hangzhou, China [PHOTOS]
July 13 2012 11:10 AM
In a typical art exhibition, you’re expected to keep your hands behind your back, maintain a respectful distance from the artwork and, above all else, refrain from touching anything. But the Magic Art Exhibition in Hangzhou, China, is not your run-of-the-mill show.
- Italian Art Historians Find 100 Unknown Works By Caravaggio
July 05 2012 2:50 PM
The works are estimated to have a combined value of some ?700 million ($867 million) .
- Salvador Dali Painting Stolen From NYC Art Gallery; 'Cartel Des Don Juan Tenorio' Valued At $150,000
June 23 2012 11:04 AM
A valuable Salvador Dali watercolor and ink painting was recently swiped off the wall of a New York City art gallery. The Associated Press is reporting that the painting, which is valued at around $150,000, was taken from a Madison Avenue Art Gallery on Tues., June 19, by a man posing as a customer.
- ?Terra Sacra Time Lapses? Video Spans 6 Years On 7 Continents And 24 Countries
June 15 2012 5:17 PM
Sean F. White's video Terra Sacra Time Lapses offers a mesmerizing glimpse of life on all seven continents.
- The Fine Art Of Disruption: How Lorenzo Thione Evolved From 'Bing' To 'Artify It'
May 26 2012 12:02 PM
Lorenzo Thione believes in fate and approaches the world with a somewhat self-confident naivete. This outward optimism comes across most clearly when he talks about his new business: He wants to be an artist among the artists, unchaining fine art from wealthy collectors and setting it free among the hoi polloi.
- Anonymous-Themed Graffiti Litter Egypt As Disillusion Festers [PHOTOS]
May 16 2012 7:34 PM
Graffiti, some containing themes from the Anonymous movement, against Egypt's military rule has littered the streets of Cairo as its citizens' disillusion with the current regime continues to fester.
- Facebook Acquiring Lightbox.com Staff, Technology
May 16 2012 11:39 AM
Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social network, said it?s acquiring the staff and technology of startup Lightbox.com, developer of a photo app for mobile surfaces.
- Scientists Discover Europe's Oldest Engraved Female Genitalia Art
May 14 2012 5:11 PM
Scientists have discovered what they believe to be some of the oldest known engravings and artworks, dating back some 37,000 years -- and some of them are possibly pornographic, according to a study published Monday.
- ADay.org Wants Your Help To Send A Message To The Future
May 14 2012 11:31 AM
Swedish organization ADay.org asks people across the globe to pick up a camera on May 15, 2012 and participate in the world's largest and most comprehensive photographic documentation of a single day in human history.
- Stunning Street Art From The Havana Biennial: ?Wrinkles Of The City?
May 10 2012 11:47 AM
Exploring the relationship between visuals and social issues, French creative team J.R. and Cuban-American artist Jose Parla have transformed the streets of Havana with absorbing murals for the Havana Biennial.
- Painting Smeared With Amy Winehouse's Blood To Be Auctioned
May 10 2012 8:10 AM
A self-portrait of late Amy Winehouse, smeared with the singer's blood, has been put on auction. The portrait, Lady Like, was painted by singer Pete Doherty, who was a close friend of Amy, in collaboration with her.
- Marilyn Monroe Statue Dismantled: Chicago Says Goodbye to Norma Jean [PHOTOS]
May 08 2012 11:05 AM
After a year on Chicago?s Magnificent Mile, Marilyn Monroe is headed west -- one piece at a time.
- Munch's 'The Scream' Sells for Record $120 Million
May 03 2012 3:56 PM
Edvard Munch's masterpiece The Scream, one of the world's most recognizable works of art, sold for $120 million at Sotheby's on Wednesday, setting a new record as the most expensive piece of art ever sold at auction.
- Sotheby?s Shares Fall After ?The Scream? Sale
May 03 2012 10:56 AM
Shares of auctioneer Sotheby?s (NYSE: BID), which handled Wednesday?s record-breaking sale of Edvard Munch?s ?The Scream,? dropped as much as 5.1 percent in Thursday trading.