- MoMA Plays a Concrete Tribute to Abstract Expressionist Willem de Koonong
December 24 2011 5:42 AM
New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) has devoted for the first time a complete display of the major artworks of abstract expressionist artist Willem de Koonong, who is regarded as one of the most prolific artists in the 20th century.
- Steve Jobs Statue Unveiled (PHOTOS)
December 21 2011 5:21 PM
A Hungarian sculptor and software company have found a way to honor the late technology guru Steve Jobs.
- Manga Lovers Can Get Their Fix on NOOK Devices
December 20 2011 6:39 PM
A major book retailer is raising its game by making manga available on its electronic reading device – and in the proper right-to-left format.
- Coffee Bean Mosaic Makes Guinness World Records
December 13 2011 7:19 PM
An Albanian artist has landed himself in the Guinness World Records again thanks to a mosaic he made out of one million coffee beans.
- Steal This Banksy! Australian Hotel Chain Encourages Art Theft
December 13 2011 6:13 PM
The No Ball Games promotion is a game of skill, not chance.
- Lost Masterpiece by Adriaen Coorte Sets World Record at Bonhams
December 13 2011 1:11 AM
A previously unrecorded painting by Dutch painter Adriaen Coorte was auctioned for £2.1 million, thereby setting a new world record.
- U.S. Gallery Buys Velazquez Painting for $4.6 Million
December 10 2011 7:34 AM
A newly discovered portrait of Spanish painter Diego Velazquez was sold to a U.S. gallery - Alfred Bader Fine Arts of Milwaukee - at a price of $4.6 million by auction house Bonhams.
- Sotheby’s to Auction Apple Inc.'s Founding Contract from 1976
December 10 2011 12:59 AM
New-York based auction house, Sotheby's, is all set for a historic sale featuring contract papers that helped establish Steve Jobs' Apple register as a corporate body, back in 1976.
- Jerry Robinson Dies at 89: Joker Creator, Comics Legend [INTERVIEW]
December 08 2011 3:26 PM
The stronger the villain, the more the hero has to win in the end. That was the thinking process of Jerry Robinson, a legend of the Golden Age of DC Comics, when he created the Joker, the greatest Batman villain of all time. I interviewed Robinson in 2008: here are the comics legend's thoughts on Batman, Heath Ledger and the future of comics.
- 5 Reasons Why We Love 'Entertainer of the Year' Daniel Radcliffe
December 08 2011 10:57 AM
Daniel Radcliffe has been named Entertainer of the Year by Entertainment Weekly, and the honor is well-timed.
- Da Vinci's ‘Battle of Anghiari’ Prompts Art Row between Historians
December 07 2011 8:52 AM
A petition has been signed by art historians to prevent the drilling of holes into a fresco in Florence's Palazzo Vecchio. The fresco may contain artwork by acclaimed Italian Renaissance polymath, Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Remembering Steve Jobs: Hungarian Sculptor Builds Tech Wizard's Bronze Statue [PHOTOS]
December 07 2011 12:59 AM
In remembrance of the late Steve Jobs, the chief of Hungarian software maker Graphisoft Gabor Bojar has commissioned a bronze statue of the legendary Apple co-founder. The statue, crafted by Hungarian sculptor Erno Toth, will be delivered on Dec. 20.
- Year in Pictures 2011: The Top 25 Most Powerful Images [PHOTOS]
December 06 2011 5:03 PM
2011 was the year of Arab Spring, Hurricane Irene, the dismantling of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and countless political, cultural and scientific advances and upheavals. It was also a year of photos. From the UC Davis pepper spraying to the death of Osama bin Laden, relive 2011 through some of the most powerful images of the year.
- Turner Prize to be Awarded First Time in Non-Tate Venue
December 05 2011 10:31 AM
Turner Prize, one of the contemporary art world's biggest events is all set to take place on Dec.5, 2011 to honor the very best of the current British award.
- Mayor Bloomberg’s Girlfriend Threatens to Resign from Sotheby’s Board
December 04 2011 5:56 AM
Diana Taylor, who is the girlfriend of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and is a Sotheby's board member, has threatened to resign if any demands of the auction house's art handlers are met.
- Probe Ordered into Art Forgery by Manhattan Gallery
December 04 2011 5:33 AM
Authorities from Manhattan federal court are investigating whether paintings and drawings sold by a 165-year old art gallery, Knoedler & Co., including purported works by Jackson Pollock and other Modernist masters, are nothing but expert forgeries.
- Miami Art Museum Receives $35 Million, to be Renamed After Donor
December 03 2011 10:13 AM
The Miami Art Museum will be renamed the Jorge M. Pérez Art Museum of Miami-Dade County after $35 million naming gift by a donor.
- X-Rays Reveal Unfinished Rembrandt Self-Portrait
December 03 2011 12:47 AM
With the assistance of X-ray scanning, art experts have identified another self-portrait of Dutch painter Rembrandt.
- Robert Pattinson Gets Another Wax Figure; Taylor Lautner to Get His First [PHOTOS]
December 01 2011 6:24 PM
Team Edward and Team Jacob fans have something to look forward to: Robert Pattinson just got another wax figure at Madame Tussauds, and one of Taylor Lautner is on the way.
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery Ready for Public (PHOTOS)
November 29 2011 4:10 PM
The Scottish National Portrait Gallery is ready for the public after undergoing renovation.