- Walt Disney Drawing Going Up for Auction
November 28 2011 11:24 AM
A sketch that was drawn and autographed by Walt Disney is going up for auction.
- Turin Exhibition Displays Rare Leonardo Da Vinci Self-Portrait
November 24 2011 9:56 AM
A rare self-portrait by Italian renaissance polymath Leonardo da Vinci, that has only been publicly shown twice, has gone on display in the city of Turin.
- Three Rare Marc Chagall Paintings up for Sale at Sotheby’s
November 23 2011 2:55 AM
Three rare oil paintings by Russian-French artist Marc Chagall will be auctioned at Sotheby's New York sale featuring interiors of synagogues.
- The New Yorker Thanksgiving Cover Conjures Past-to-Present Parallel
November 22 2011 1:01 PM
Christoph Niemann is the illustrator behind The New Yorker's Thanksgiving cover, Promised Land.
- Artist Shepard Fairey Urges Obama to Support Occupy Wall Street
November 21 2011 12:43 PM
Famed street artist-cum-celebrated-printmaker Shepard Fairey is backing the Occupy Wall Street movement with a new poster that turns his iconic 2008 campaign poster in support of Barack Obama into a plea for him to join the 99 percent.
- Damien Hirst’s 18th Century Diamond-Encrusted Human Skull on Display at the Tate
November 21 2011 11:45 AM
English artist and entrepreneur, Damien Hirst's diamond encrusted 18th century skull sculpture will be on display at Tate's Modern Turbine Hall for the first time.
- MoMA’s Tomayo Painting Sets Auction Records of $2.2 Million at Latam Sales
November 17 2011 10:33 PM
Mexican painter, Rufino Tomayo's Watermelon Slices was the top lot of Sotheby's Latin American sale fetching a staggering $2.2 million and setting new auction records.
- Chad Michael Murray Pens Graphic Novel
November 17 2011 5:11 PM
Celebrities often put out books to expand their brand, but it appears that Chad Michael Murray has bucked the trend somewhat by releasing a graphic novel instead.
- Benetton 'Unhate' Campaign Ads: White House Issues Statement on Obama Kiss
November 17 2011 2:12 PM
The White House issued a statement on Thursday after Benetton's 'Unhate' ad campaign featured a digitally altered picture of Obama kissing two of his perceived enemies.
- 2011 National Book Award Winners and Finalists
November 16 2011 10:55 PM
The 2011 National Book Award ceremony was held in New York late Wednesday and hosted by actor, musician and author John Lithgow, featuring the finest writers, editors and publishers in the United States. The winners included: Jesmyn Ward, Stephen Grenblatt, Nikkey Finney and Thanhha Lai.
- Botero’s Bronze ‘Dancers’ and Tamayo Painting Highlights of Latam Art Sales
November 14 2011 10:44 PM
At the Latin American two-day art sale on Nov.15-16, 2011, creations by renowned Mexican painter Rufino Tamayo and Fernando Botero are said to be the highlights of the event.
- 'Hunger Games' Movie Inspires Nail Polish Line (Sneak Peek!)
November 14 2011 10:15 PM
As The Hunger Games trailer debuts, beauty company China Glaze is allegedly prepping a set of nail polish colors to coincide with the film. The Hunger Games Collection (unconfirmed) will premiere in 2012, but click here for a look at all shades and their inspirations from the YA book series, from Katniss and Peeta to District 12 and Flaming Mockingjay.
- Brooklyn Artist Drawing Every Building in New York City [Video]
November 14 2011 4:53 PM
There are about 900,000 buildings in the five boroughs of New York City, the city Department of Buildings predicts, and a lone Brooklyn artist is attempting to draw them all.
- Andreas Gursky's Digital Photograph Sets $4.3 Million World Record
November 14 2011 2:11 AM
A digital image of the grey Rhine by German artist, Andreas Gursky has been sold to an anonymous bidder for $4.3 million at Christie's New York auction, making it one of the most expensive photograph sold at an auction.
- Key Artworks of Diego Rivera Presented After 80 Years at MoMA
November 12 2011 2:20 AM
From paintings reflecting New York's social stratification during the Great Depression Era to themes of revolution and class inequity - some of the major artworks by Mexican muralist, Diego Rivera will be presented at MoMA from Nov.13, 2011.
- Sarasota Chalk Festival 2011: Best International Artwork [PHOTOS & VIDEO]
November 10 2011 7:08 PM
The international pavement art event has gone on for years, dazzling local residents, but Sarasota, Fla. officials decided to clean the streets immediately after the festival was finished. See fallen angels rendered in chalk, 3D terracotta LEGO soldiers, street-wide mosaics and more in these videos and photos, as artists from around the world create beauty on pavement.
- Iconic Photos of Marilyn Monroe, Kate Moss Up for Auction [PHOTOS]
November 10 2011 6:02 PM
Stunning photographs of Marilyn Monroe and Kate Moss will be up for auction by Bonhams on Nov. 17 at Bonhams' New Bond Street, London.
- Clyfford Still Paintings Auctioned for $114.1 Million in New York
November 10 2011 2:18 AM
A group of four paintings by renowned American Abstract Expressionist Clyfford Still has fetched a total of $114.1 million during Sotheby's Contemporary Art sale in New York.
- France Claims 17th Century Painting ‘Stolen’ by UK Gallery
November 09 2011 11:30 PM
French authorities have barred a UK gallery from bringing a 17th century disputed painting back across the channel.
- Bil Keane Dead: Quotes From 'Family Circus' Creator, Other Comic Greats
November 09 2011 6:43 PM
As cartoonists across America join fans in remembering Bil Keane, read some of the Family Circus creator's best quotes, other cartoonists' reflections on their mentor, and the words of other great comic strip artists who've died in the past few years. Keane is known for his promotion of family values and his strip's iconic format, but few knew how funny he was, or how honest.