This afternoon's Mets game seemed over in the third inning, when the Pirates added one run atop the six they had already compiled in the first two frames. A seven-run hole seemed unsurmountable for a Mets team that recently has shown a knack for imploding as games progress.

But this time, New York responded with three runs in the bottom half of the third set, and added four more in the sixth en route to a 9-8 win and a 2-2 split of their four-game homestand against Pittsburgh. The win put the Mets at 26-30 on the year, firmly in fourth place but with a homestand against third-place Atlanta next.

Carlos Beltran began the comeback with a home run that drove in Jose Reyes and Justin Turner. Then the Mets repeatedly filled the bases in the sixth, beating up on Pirates pitcher Paul Maholm before Chris Resop relieved him and quieted the Mets' bats. The score remained tied until the bottom of the eighth, when Jose Veras stepped in for Resop and struggled immediately, walking four and balking the runners forward, in the process letting New York score two runs--enough, it turned out, for the win.

Mike Pelfrey eluded a certain loss thanks to the batters' surprising comeback. His poor outing began with a bunt single to the mound from Xavier Paul, who promptly stole second. The tall right-handed pitcher seemed rattled, and stayed that way through the second inning, when two singles and a home run posted three more on the scoreboard for the Pirates. Saving the bullpen, Mets Coach Terry Collins left him in to pitch two more innings before going to a committee of four relief pitchers to finish out the game.

Jason Isringhausen earned the win for his inning of work in the eighth, in which he struck out two before allowing a single by pinch hitter Garrett Jones, who he then picked off of first base.

Francisco Rodriguez earned the save, but not without drama. Paul hit a triple to start things off, then Rodriguez retired two Pirates before letting Paul score on a single by Neil Walker. The closer induced Lyle Overbay to fly out in foul territory by third base to end the game.