Michael Jackson’s last rehearsals for a planned mega-concert series will become a film that will be released on October 30, Sony said on Monday.
“This Is It” is being made from hundreds of hours of footage captured with high-definition cameras as Jackson prepared for a 50-concert commitment in London which was set to start last month.
The singer unexpectedly died in late June of cardiac arrest, although an official final report with details has not yet been released.
“People who have seen this footage are astounded by the amazing quality of Michael Jackson's performance,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Also included in the film will be some sequences in 3-D, a career retrospective and interviews with Jackson’s friends and creative collaborators, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment said in a released statement.
“This Is It was Michael's last theatrical work and although it was still a work in progress, I think the footage will show that the process was something that Michael deeply enjoyed and that it was clear that he was on his way to another theatrical triumph,” said Kenny Ortega, director of and Jackson’s creative partner on the concert.
The film is being produced with the full support of The Estate of Michael Jackson, according to Sony.
The rights to the film were acquired from concert promoter AEG Live and The Estate of Michael Jackson.
A short clip of rehearsals from June 23, two days before the singer's death, had been previously shown in television, and online media reports.
See the rehearsal clip below: