Major League Baseball (MLB) said on Wednesday it has launched an investigation into Alex Rodriguez following reports that the New York Yankees slugger took part in high-stakes underground poker games.

Rodriguez is alleged to have played in at least two games, including one at a Beverly Hills mansion of a record executive, where hundreds of thousands of dollars changed hands among players that included several high-profile actors, according to a report first published by Star magazine.

"We take this very seriously and have been investigating this matter since the initial allegation," MLB said in a statement. "As part of the investigation, the Commissioner's Office will interview Mr. Rodriguez."

Rodriguez was warned in 2005 about gambling in underground poker clubs by the Yankees and MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, both of whom were concerned about possible involvement with gamblers who might be betting on baseball games.

The Yankees All-Star third baseman is currently recovering from knee surgery last month and was expected to be fit enough to rejoin the team in a couple of weeks.