MSC Poesia returns to the Caribbean for her second season with a line-up of five baseball and Big Band theme cruises during the 2010-11 Caribbean season. Cruise-only rates begin at $529 per person, double occupancy (government fees and taxes additional) and participation in the theme cruises is complimentary.
MSC Poesia's 2010-11 Caribbean cruises sail roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and feature the ever-popular Baseball Greats and Big Band theme cruises. Here is a review of what these theme cruises feature:
During the sailing, guests gain insight into the world of Major League Baseball as seen through the eyes of some of the greats of the game.
The Baseball Greats theme cruise includes free interactive guest/player activities, including a player-hosted trivia game in which guests can test their baseball knowledge, question-and-answer sessions with the players, a guest pitching contest and a story-telling session where players share candid revelations about their baseball experiences.
Players will also host pitching, hitting, fielding, and base running clinics. There's an extremely popular free autograph session at the end of the cruise.
The following itineraries will be Baseball Greats theme cruises:
- November 14, 2010: 7-night Eastern Caribbean calling at St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; and Nassau, Bahamas. Featured former players include: Bob Feller, Tommy Davis, Glenn Beckert, Clarence Jones, and Stan Bahnsen. Rates begin at $529 [plus $69.62 (GFT's) government fees and taxes)]
- December 5, 2010: 7-night Western Caribbean, calling at Key West, Florida; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico. Featured former players include: Graig Nettles, Amos Otis, Dave Campbell, Stan Bahnsen and one more still to be announced. Rates begin at $529 (plus $69.62 GFT's)
- January 9, 2011: 7-night Eastern Caribbean. Featured former players include: Stan Bahnsen and four more still to be announced. Rates begin at $549 (plus $69.62 GFT's)
- January 23, 2011: 7-night Eastern Caribbean. Featured former players include: Rick Burleson, Jim Fregosi, Rick Wise, Stan Bahnsen one more to come. Rates begin at $49 (plus $69.62 GFT's)
- February 6, 2011: 7-night Eastern Caribbean. Featured former players include: Stan Bahnsen and four more still to be announced. Rates begin at $549 (plus $81.35 GFT's)
The 15-piece Les DeMerle Big Band features vocalist Bonnie Eisele. Dynamic drummer Les DeMerle has toured and recorded with the Harry James Big Band and Wayne Newton; the band has also accompanied many top singers, including Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., The Manhattan Transfer, Mel Torme and Al Jarreau.
The Les DeMerle Big Band is sure to have toes tapping, bodies swaying and guests singing along to the sounds of Ellington, Basie, James and Miller, plus the biggest Broadway hits, rock 'n' roll classics, hot Latin grooves and show-stoppers from the '40s through today. In addition to their performances, the band will present a Big Band Jazz Concert and conduct a lecture on the Big Band Era.
The following itinerary features the Big Band theme:
October 23, 2010: nine-night Canada/New England cruise departing from Quebec City, Quebec calling at Sydney, Nova Scotia; Boston, Massachusetts; Newport, Rhode Island; and New York, New York, and Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Rates begin at $840 (plus $102.40 GFT's).
For more information about MSC Cruises and its theme cruises in the Caribbean, visit www.MSCCRuisesUSA.com, call 877-665-4655, or contact a local travel professional.