Get ready for drama because “Nashville” finally returns on Wednesday. The ABC show left off with some massive cliffhangers that will be answered in the Season 4 premiere, but they might not go the way fans expect. Luckily, we’ve seen the premiere and can give you a few hints, plus some scoop on the rest of the season.
1. Who Dies? – “Nashville” Season 3 left off with Deacon (Charles Esten) and Beverly (Dana Wheeler-Nicholson) in surgery, but one of them flatlined. The outcome isn’t exactly what fans are expecting. Either Deacon or Beverly make it out of the surgery completely fine (we’re not saying which one) and one is feeling some major guilt.
2. Time Jump – The premiere picks up a month after Deacon and Beverly’s liver transplant. During that time, Juliette (Hayden Panettiere) hasn’t been home to see her husband Avery (Jonathan Jackson) or their baby.
3. Juliette’s Depression – The country starlet has a booming career. Her movie has amazing buzz, and she is getting a ton of publicity in Los Angeles. However, she still has postpartum depression and is avoiding her husband. Unfortunately, her problems won’t be solved in the premiere. Showrunner Dee Johnson revealed that her troubled marriage will be a major focus in Season 4. “They have a lot to overcome in the early going of this season,” Johnson told TVLine.
4. Celebrity Cameo – “Nashville” will keep bringing out the celebrity guest stars. Aerosmith front man Steven Tyler makes a guest appearance at one of Juliette’s concerts to sing Patsy Cline’s “Crazy.”
— Steven Tyler (@IamStevenT) August 18, 2015
5. Layla And Jeff’s Twisted Romance – Music City’s oddest pairing is making it work, but it isn’t clear how long they’ll be able to stay together. Mixing business and pleasure complicates Jeff (Oliver Hudson) and Layla’s (Aubrey Peeples) relationship. “Their unique love, is on the table, and they are poised to kind of try to see how that works as a couple,” Johnson told TVLine. “But the manager/client relationship is a tricky one, and one of the things we’re really focusing on, in terms of our general storytelling this season, is public perception versus what’s really happening, and how different those things can be.”
6. Scarlett And Gunnar – As evidenced by the kiss shown in the trailer, Scarlett (Clare Bowen) and Gunnar (Sam Palladio) are finally admitting their romantic feelings. Yet Caleb (Nick Jandl) isn’t out of the picture yet, so Scarlett will be in a love triangle once again.
Watch the “Nashville” Season 4 trailer below:
7. Rayna’s Label Difficulties – In the premiere, Rayna will realize just how much trouble her label is in. Scarlett had a breakdown, Sadie (Laura Benanti) left town and Juliette ditched her for Luke (Will Chase). Rayna’s only successful album on her label is her own, so she’ll sign Markus Keen (Riley Smith) to change that later this season. However, the musician will show his egotistic side when he realizes how much Highway 65 Records needs him. He also might develop some unprofessional feelings for Rayna.
8. Luke’s New Love – Will (Chris Carmack) struggles with being openly gay in his personal and professional life. Luckily, he’ll have some help dealing with the professional side in “Nashville” Season 4. Will is going to get a new media consultant to deal with coming out. Luke hires Gabriella to help the public accept Will’s sexuality, but Luke will soon find himself falling for the straightforward businesswoman.
“Nashville” Season 4 premieres Wednesday at 10 p.m. EDT.