Authorities investigating the death of actress Natalie Wood said on Tuesday there was no fresh evidence that suggested foul play.
Several weeks of interviews and other investigative work have not uncovered any evidence the death was a homicide. It had been ruled as an accident, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Chief of Detectives William McSweeney told the Los Angeles Times.
Wood drowned in 1981, off the coast of southern California, while boating with husband Robert Wagner and actor Christopher Walken.
The circumstances of her death remain one of Hollywood's most enduring mysteries and continue to create intrigue, with homicide detectives reopening a case that had long been classified as a tragic accident.
Cold cases like Wood's are never really closed and detectives are still looking at some aspects of the case, added McSweeney.
In November, investigators reopened the case on the basis of several sources that came forward with new information about the incident.
Apparently, the evening before her death, Wood, along with husband Wagner and Walken, had dinner at a restaurant on Catalina Island. When they returned to the yacht, Wagner and Walken got into an argument, authorities added.
After the argument, Walken went to bed and Wagner stayed up, with Captain Dennis Davern, to look for his wife. He couldn't find her onboard, an Associated Press said. It was then that Wagner reportedly noticed that a dinghy attached to the boat was also gone.
Lifeguard captain Roger Smith told the Los Angeles Times Wood could have been saved if authorities had been called in sooner to search for her.