Although they have now branched out to a wide range of applications, National Automation Services built much of its reputation in the automation and process controls industry with municipal and district water control systems in Arizona. Their consistent ability to provide the diversified technologies necessary to meet strict government regulations has given them a foundation that they are now using to expand both vertically and geographically.
Some of their early successes include the following:
• Yuma Mesa Irrigation (Pump Station and SCADA Upgrade) – NAS designed and implemented a SCADA and PLC based control system for Yuma Mesa Irrigation District. The PLC controlled the pump station and after bay gate control. Based on the after bay level, the PLC calculated and totalized flow inside of the PLC. The PLC was connected to the Watermaster and Dispatcher’s SCADA PC site approximately 18 miles away via a spread spectrum radio network. The SCADA package was programmed to control the pump station, after bay gate, and produce water usage reports for the Watermaster. The SCADA PC also has remote dialing capabilities on an alarm condition.
• City of Cottonwood, Arizona (Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade) – This was a Design Build project in which NAS was responsible for all instrumentation and control systems engineering, radio communications, PLC and SCADA programming, documentation and O&M manual generation. Cottonwood’s system architecture consists of Modicon Quantum and Momentum PLC’s, Grayhill radios, and iFix SCADA software.
• City of Avondale, Arizona (Master SCADA System) – NAS was responsible for the programming and implementation of a Wonderware Master SCADA system at Avondale’s Coldwater Springs Booster Station. The system integrates various remote sites using Modicon PLC’s, MDS radios, and Wonderware InTouch Systems.
• Town of Gilbert, Arizona (West San Tan Lift Station) – This project consisted of panel fabrication, calibration of flow meters and pressure transmitters, startup of analytical equipment, programming of Modicon Momentum PLC in Concept, programming and design of Magelis touchscreens, O&M manuals, and startup and commissioning.
• City of Peoria, Arizona (Beardsley Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion) – The scope of work for this project consisted of an Intellution SCADA Upgrade, control panel fabrication, various instrumentation configurations, VFD configurations, commissioning and startup, and finally, creating O&M Manuals. During the project, several problems arose that required NAS to redesign both the blower control systems and the SCADA communications network. Communications and control modules were added to the blowers for them to operate per specifications. Existing control panels were modified. Fiber to Ethernet converters were installed. NAS performed the programming and integration associated with the PLC’s and Intellution iFix SCADA System.
Let us hear your thoughts: National Automation Services, Inc. Message Board