National Cat Day is celebrated Oct. 29 every year in the United States. It was founded in 2005 to celebrate the love for cats, the world's favorite pet, and to raise awareness about the number of cats that need to be rescued each year.
Animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige, along with Pet Lifestyle Expert, recognized the day aiming to find homes for 4 million cats that enter shelters every year and draw attention towards the 1 million to 2 million that are euthanized annually. Paige said the goal of National Cat Day is to arrange the adoption of 10,000 shelter cats nationwide every Oct. 29.
"Often cats are overlooked and under-appreciated because they don't usually have jobs like dogs. But cats still lower blood pressure, offer unconditional love and companionship, tons of laughs and alert their owner to danger. Many cats have been named heroes," according to the official website.
Here are some quotes about the felines:
- “What greater gift than the love of a cat?” — Charles Dickens
- “Time spent with a cat is never wasted.” — Colette
- “A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement, and love without penalties.” — Walter Lionel George
- “How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven.” — Robert A. Heinlein
- “A cat can be trusted to purr when she is pleased, which is more than can be said for human beings.” — William Ralph Inge
- “Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time, for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect.” — James Mason
- “I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.” — Edgar Allan Poe
- “I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” ― Hippolyte Taine
- “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” — Jean Cocteau