NBC has dropped its plan for a new Bill Cosby sitcom, an NBC spokesperson confirmed Wednesday. Unlike Netflix, which announced Tuesday night it was postponing a comedy special starring Cosby after Janice Dickinson told "Entertainment Tonight" that she, too, had been drugged and raped by Cosby in the 1980s, NBC had remained quiet about its plans for their sitcom.
Since comedian Hannibal Burrell called Cosby out as a rapist in a comedy routine Oct. 16, the floodgates have opened and more alleged victims have come forward in what seems like a daily stream. Barbara Bowman repeated the allegations she'd been talking about for years in an Op-Ed she penned for the Washington Post last week, Joan Tarshis said Cosby drugged and raped her in 1969, and retired lawyer Tamara Green, 66, told The Daily Mail on Wednesday that she feared for her life for charging that Cosby drugged and raped her in the 1970s.
Cosby was slated to star in the NBC sitcom from Sony Pictures Television, playing a father of three married daughters with children.