The San Diego Chargers see Philip Rivers as the franchise's quarterback for years to come and are optimistic that both sides will agree to a long-term contract extension. Ian Rapoport, the league insider for NFL.com, reported the development on the possible agreement between the Chargers and the veteran signal caller.
Weeks ago, #Chargers QB Philip Rivers was unsure about his future in SD. Now, I’m told the team is optimistic about a long-term extension
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 21, 2015
Rapoport also reported while appearing on "NFL Total Access" that the Chargers are hoping that the new deal will give the 33-year-old Rivers a long-term deal that will allow the quarterback to retire as a Charger. The NFL insider added that both sides have made “little progress” on the probable long-term deal and it’s still unknown where Rivers stands on the rumored extension.
Earlier in the offseason, Rivers was quoted in saying that he’s unsure of his future with the organization, which is one three franchises that could move to the Los Angeles area by 2016. The Chargers have a joint stadium proposal with the Oakland Raiders, while the St. Louis Rams also are eyeing the L.A. area. All three teams have called L.A. home in the past.
“What I can control and all I know as of today, I am signed up for one more year,” Rivers said earlier in the 2015 offseason to Union-Times San Diego. “I guess things could change, but with all the uncertainty in many aspects, I don’t see it changing before camp gets here, and when camp gets here I’m even more certain to play it out.”
Rivers will be entering his 12th season in the league, all with San Diego. The Chargers acquired Rivers in a draft day trade with the New York Giants, who drafted him the fourth overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.