The Notorious B.I.G. was one of the best rappers in the game when, at age 24, he was shot dead on March 9, 1997, as he left a party hosted by Vibe magazine in Los Angeles. His killer is still unknown.
His hit debut album, “Ready to Die,” put Biggie Smalls, whose real name was Christopher Wallace, into the spotlight. Eighteen years after his death, his music and lyrics still resonate with fans. Twitter users made the hashtag #RIPBIG one of the top-trending topics Monday. In memory of the Notorious B.I.G., here are some of his best quotes and lyrics:
1. "I never wish death on nobody, cause there ain’t coming back from that."
2. "Excellence is my presence. Never tense, never hesitant."
3. "Take a better stand. Put money in my mom’s hand. Get my daughter this college plan, so she don’t need no man."
4. "Biggie Smalls is the illest. Your style is played out, like Arnold wondered, ‘What you talkin' bout Willis?’ "
5. "Catch me if you can like the gingerbread man."
6. "It was all a dream I sued to read Word Up magazine. Salt-N-Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine. Hangin' pictures on my wall. Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl, I let my tape rock till my tape popped."
7. "Forgive me for my disrespect, forgive me for my lies."
8. "We can't change the World. Unless we change ourselves."
9. "If Faith had twins, she'd probably have two Pacs, Get it, Tu-Pac's?"
10. "If you didn’t know, now you now."
11. "And everything you get, ya gotta work hard for it."
12. "I’m living every day like a hustle. Another drug to juggle, another day another struggle."
13. "And n-ggas know they soft like a Twinkie fillin’. Playin’ the villain. Prepare for this rap killin.' "
14. "While we out here, say the hustlas prayer. If the game shakes me or breaks me, I hope it makes me a better man."
15. "If you don’t love yourself, I’ll make you see your own heart."
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella