NYPD has released surveillance footage of the L Train subway fight that ended up killing 20-year-old college student Joshua Basin. Basin was confronted by a man, presumed to be in his thirties, following a verbal dispute on Friday night at the Bedford Avenue station in Brooklyn. 

Hundreds of witnesses watched as the altercation quickly escalated into a full-blown fight, which only ended after both men fell onto the tracks. While the older man was able to escape and climb back to safety, Basin remained on the tracks where he was hit by an oncoming train. 

The footage reveals the suspect provoking the 20-year-old LaGuardia Community College student. Witnesses say the suspect was drunk and looking for a fight. Investigators say that the surveillance reveals a man in his 30s, about 6 feet tall with brown hair and was last seen wearing a fleece jacket and sneakers before fleeing the scene of the crime. 

Brooklyn resident Sean R. Nyffeler, who was on the train when Basin was hit, describes the event on the Gothamist:

I was on this train. Sitting in the frontmost car, actually-the one that hit him and pinned him against the platform-and I felt the two or three dull thuds that jostled the entire car when it ran him over. The conductor was clearly trying her best to stop in time, but I don't think people realize just how fast these trains go. The statistic you always hear is that 50% off all people who go down onto the tracks die, regardless of when or why or how inebriated.

The conductor rushed back into the car and told us all to back up away from the windows. She kept shouting, Get back! You don't want to see this! She had to stand up on the seats and yell through the sliver of opened window, instructing people on the platform to take his pulse. She told all of us to go into the next car, but as we shuffled through the emergency doors another MTA worker came in from the second car and opened half of one of the doors in our car, ushering us out through there.

They told us not to crowd around and, yeah, I believed the conductor when she said I didn't want to see this, but in my daze I caught a glimpse of him before I turned and left the station. He was stuck, like all the articles say, between the car and the platform from his waist down, facing the train. He was moving his arms so I knew he wasn't dead yet, but as I stumbled up the stairs and onto Bedford Ave. I also knew there was no coming back from that. I spent the rest of the night in a state of shock and horror.

Basin was taken to Bellevue Hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival. He is survived by his mother, Zena, Basin who told The New York Times that her son was a peacemaker and wanted to eventually become a psychiatrist. Whenever his friends had a problem, he was always there for them, Ms. Basin said. And he was always there for me.