IntercontinentalExchange (NYSE: ICE), a leading operator of regulated global futures exchanges, clearing houses and over-the-counter (OTC) markets, reported volume for May 2012. Average daily volume (ADV) for ICE's futures markets was 1,544,072 contracts, up 8% from May 2011. Year-to-date through May 31, ADV across ICE's futures exchanges was 1,550,313 contracts, an increase of 3% compared to the first five months of 2011. Total May futures volume was 34 million contracts, up 13% from May 2011.
May 2012 Review
- ICE Futures Europe records:
- ICE Brent Crude options on futures established a daily and monthly volume record on May 31 of 123,094 and 1,090,080 contracts, respectively. The contract set an open interest record of 1,120,234 contracts on May 10.
- Monthly volume and ADV records were also established in ICE Brent futures, Dutch Gas futures and WTI options contracts.
- The exchange set an open interest record of 5,883,966 contracts on May 10. Open interest records were established in ICE Brent futures and options, ICE Emissions EUA futures and ERU options, Rotterdam Coal futures, Dutch TTF Natural Gas futures, Heating Oil futures and WTI options contracts.
- ICE Futures Canada records:
- The exchange set an open interest record of 282,911 contracts on May 18.
- Results of the company's 2012 Annual Meeting of Stockholders, which was held May 18, 2012, were published May 22.
- ICE announced the launch of 33 new cleared OTC contracts for natural gas liquids (NGLs), North American power and oil and refined petroleum products.
- Creditex and Markit conducted the first credit event auction in the Chinese corporate credit market on May 9.
- Through May 25, ICE's CDS clearing houses have cleared $31 trillion in gross notional value on a cumulative basis across 915,522 transactions. ICE currently lists 345 CDS contracts for clearing.
- ICE Clear Credit has cleared $18 trillion of gross notional value since inception, including $1.5 trillion in single-name CDS, resulting in open interest of $907 billion. ICE Clear Credit offers clearing for 46 indexes, 132 corporate single-names and four Latin American sovereign CDS.
- ICE Clear Europe has cleared euro 9.6 trillion ($13 trillion) of gross notional value since inception, including euro 1.3 trillion ($1.8 trillion) in single-name CDS, resulting in euro 573 billion ($718 billion) of open interest. ICE Clear Europe offers clearing for 42 indexes and 121 single-names.
- Trading days in May 2012:
- ICE Futures Europe: 22
- ICE Futures U.S.: 22
- ICE Futures Canada: 22
|ICE Futures Contracts & Markets Monthly ADV|
|ICE Brent Crude futures & options||664,601||536,737||23.8|
|ICE Gasoil futures & options||253,635||233,991||8.4|
|ICE WTI Crude futures & options||140,355||212,102||-33.8|
|ICE ECX emissions futures & options||27,410||21,803||25.7|
|Other futures contracts (1)||51,793||25,289||104.8|
|TOTAL ICE FUTURES EUROPE||1,137,794||1,029,922||10.5|
|Index futures & options (2)||141,419||148,906||-5.0|
|Sugar No. 11 futures & options||113,912||108,621||4.9|
|Other agricultural commodity contracts (3)||99,264||82,703||20.0|
|Currency futures and options contracts (4)||34,672||43,667||-20.6|
|TOTAL ICE FUTURES U.S.||389,267||383,897||1.4|
|TOTAL ICE FUTURES CANADA & CCFE||17,011||16,088||5.7|
|TOTAL FUTURES CONTRACTS||1,544,072||1,429,907||8.0|
(1) Other futures & options contracts include ICE UK Natural Gas futures; ICE Coal futures; ICE Dutch TTF and German Natural Gas futures; ICE UK Electricity futures; ICE Heating Oil futures; ICE Unleaded Gasoline Blendstock (RBOB) futures; and Coal and Natural Gas options.
(2) Index futures & options includes Russell 2000® mini futures and options and futures for the Russell 1000® mini, the Continuous Commodity Index, the Euro Index and the NYSE Composite.
(3) Other agricultural commodity contracts include futures and/or options for Cocoa, Coffee C, Cotton No. 2, Orange Juice, Sugar No. 14, Sugar No. 16, U.S. Corn, U.S. Wheat, U.S. Soybeans, U.S. Soybean Meal, and U.S. Soybean Oil.
(4) Currency futures and options include futures and options for the U.S. Dollar Index and foreign exchange.
|ICE Futures Year-to-Date ADV|
|5-mos 2012||5-mos 2011||Percent Change|
|ICE Futures Europe||1,113,690||1,071,502||3.9|
|ICE Futures U.S.||412,926||409,297||0.9|
|ICE Futures Canada & CCFE||23,697||19,576||21.1|
|ICE Futures Monthly and Year-to-Date Volume|
|May 2012||May 2011||Percent Change|
|ICE Futures Europe||25,031,478||21,628,363||15.7|
|ICE Futures U.S.||8,563,864||8,061,845||6.2|
|ICE Futures Canada & CCFE||374,240||337,839||10.8|
|5-mos 2012||5-mos 2011||Percent Change|
|ICE Futures Europe||115,823,767||110,364,728||4.9|
|ICE Futures U.S.||42,944,306||42,157,619||1.9|
|ICE Futures Canada & CCFE||2,487,960||2,016,340||23.4|
|ICE Futures Open Interest|
|May 31, 2012||December 31, 2011|
|ICE Futures Europe||5,729,160||3,905,986|
|ICE Futures U.S.||3,264,081||2,680,454|
|ICE Futures Canada & CCFE||277,876||170,894|
|Rolling Three-Month Average Rate per Contract (RPC)|
|Product Line||Three MonthsEnding|
|ICE Futures Europe||$1.55||$1.55||$1.56|
|ICE Futures U.S. Ag||$2.58||$2.70||$2.68|
|ICE Futures U.S. Fin||$0.91||$0.88||$0.93|
RPC is calculated by dividing transaction revenues by contract volume, and may vary based on pricing, customer and product mix.
Historical futures volume and OTC commission data can be found at:
IntercontinentalExchange® (NYSE: ICE) is a leading operator of regulated futures exchanges and over-the-counter markets for agricultural, credit, currency, emissions, energy and equity index contracts. ICE Futures Europe® hosts trade in half of the world's crude and refined oil futures. ICE Futures U.S.® and ICE Futures Canada® list agricultural, currencies and Russell Index markets. ICE® is also a leading operator of central clearing services for the futures and over-the-counter markets, with five regulated clearing houses across North America and Europe. ICE serves customers in more than 70 countries. www.theice.com
The following are trademarks of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. and/or its affiliated companies: IntercontinentalExchange, IntercontinentalExchange & Design, ICE, ICE and block design, ICE Futures Canada, ICE Futures Europe, ICE Futures U.S., ICE Clear Europe, ICE Clear Credit, U.S. Dollar Index, European Climate Exchange (ECX) and Chicago Climate Futures Exchange (CCFE). All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. For more information regarding registered trademarks owned by IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. and/or its affiliated companies, see https://www.theice.com/terms.jhtml
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 - Statements in this press release regarding IntercontinentalExchange's business that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of additional risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see ICE's Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, including, but not limited to, the risk factors in ICE's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011, as filed with the SEC on February 8, 2012.
Shayne Heffernan oversees the management of funds for institutions and high net worth individuals.
Shayne Heffernan holds a Ph.D. in Economics and brings with him over 25 years of trading experience in Asia and hands on experience in Venture Capital, he has been involved in several start ups that have seen market capitalization over $500m and 1 that reached a peak market cap of $15b. He has managed and overseen start ups in Mining, Shipping, Technology and Financial Services.Read the Terms of Service