- Publishers Targeting Gender Is 'Outmoded' Concept, Says Verge EIC
August 14 2013 7:21 PM
Bryan Goldberg raised $6.5 million for his women's website, Bustle.com, and immediately angered his target audience with presumptions about what women want to read.
- Legal Victory For Voyeuristic ‘Neighbors’ Photographer
August 06 2013 4:10 PM
The parents of two small children who were unwittingly featured in the controversial “Neighbors” exhibit were denied a preliminary injunction that would have prevented photographer Arne Svenson from displaying or distributing the photographs.
- Media Applauds Huma Abedin, But Does She Deserve It?
July 24 2013 1:48 PM
The ongoing sideshow that is Anthony Weiner’s New York City mayoral bid is fostering a groundswell of media sympathy for Weiner’s wife, Huma Abedin, who stood by his side once again during a Tuesday press conference.
- Why Can’t Broadcast Networks Make Great TV Dramas?
July 23 2013 11:24 AM
For the second year in a row, the Big Four broadcasters were completely shut out of Emmy’s coveted Outstanding Drama Series category. Should network TV give up on serious drama?
- Gold On A Tear This Month
July 23 2013 6:41 AM
Temperatures are not the only thing sizzling in New York this summer; just stop by the Comex and watch the price of gold.
- McDonald's Disappointing Q2 Earnings Aren't Its Fault
July 22 2013 10:37 AM
That said, Q2 revenue was sluggish, at best, and Wall Street did not respond well.
- In Africa, Gay Rights Activism Can Be Fatal
July 22 2013 7:36 AM
Cameroonian LGBT activist Eric Lembembe was brutally and mysteriously killed last week.
- PS4 Release Date Likely This November
July 20 2013 9:36 AM
Sony has not announced a release date for the PS4, but the console is available for preorder on BestBuy.com with a revealing November pick up date.
- Here’s How You Can Avoid Being Sued By Your Interns
July 19 2013 9:48 AM
Fox Searchlight, Hearst Corp, Atlantic Records, Gawker Media and others have all been sued by former interns, but labor lawyers say it doesn’t have to be that way.
- Is Netflix The New HBO? Not Yet, But It Could Be
July 18 2013 6:04 PM
Netflix made Emmy history with multiple nominations for its original digital series -- but are we overplaying the significance?
- Rolling Stone And The Ethics Of Fetishizing A Terrorist
July 18 2013 2:43 PM
Rolling Stone magazine continues to take heat for a rock star-like cover featuring the suspected Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
- Will Defacing Dictionaries Help Achieve Marriage Equality?
July 17 2013 5:40 PM
Hack Marriage, a group of anonymous activists, is retrofitting dictionaries with updated entries for the word marriage. Their efforts highlight the semantic hurdles faced by post-DOMA lexicologists.
- Public Schools Shut Down In Kenya, But Bigger Problems Run Deeper
July 17 2013 1:14 PM
The educational system in Kenya has been plagued with serious issues for years.
- Has Sorkin Solved His 'Woman Problem' On 'The Newsroom?'
July 15 2013 6:19 PM
Season 2 of HBO's "The Newsroom" premiered Sunday night, and Aaron Sorkin made it clear that he heard his critics. The new season is a slight improvement on the first, but did Sorkin solve his women problem?
- Will Zimmerman Profit From Trayvon’s Death?
July 15 2013 3:00 PM
Following Saturday’s not guilty verdict, everyone and anyone connected with the high-profile George Zimmerman trial may be tempted to cash in on the case. Will Zimmerman be one of them?
- Coke University: When Did Big Junk Food Hijack Nutrition Education?
July 12 2013 10:05 PM
Weaning the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics off junk-food money may prove just as challenging as weaning Americans off junk food.
- At JPMorgan, Jamie Dimon Has Proven Himself A Survivor
July 12 2013 1:54 PM
In May, some investors wanted Jamie Dimon barred from holding chairman and CEO titles. Since then, he's proven why he kept them.
- Badge Of Dishonor: Is Anybody Surprised That ‘The Lone Ranger’ Flopped?
July 08 2013 6:45 PM
Even with Johnny Depp, “The Lone Ranger” shot blanks at the box office, showing the risks of rebooting a radio-era franchise.
- Media’s Plane Crash Coverage Stirs Flying Fears
July 08 2013 2:52 PM
Media outlets worked overtime this holiday weekend covering the crash landing of Asiana Airlines Flight 214, but does wall-to-wall coverage help or hurt in disaster recovery?
- Rachel Maddow’s Ratings Sink, And Fox News Is Still Untouchable
July 03 2013 2:03 PM
According to quarterly ratings released this week by Nielsen, MSNBC’s average primetime viewers were down 16 percent. Rachel Maddow logged her lowest month since her show debuted.