Although the Season 2 premiere date for “The Originals” is still being kept tightly under wraps, there are a few things we know for sure about the upcoming season, courtesy of Julie Plec herself! In an interview with Entertainment Weekly the mastermind behind the “Vampire Dairies” spinoff gave fans something they could really sink their teeth into in preparation of the sophomore season.
1. Rebekah’s Return: When we watched Claire Holt reprise her role during the Season 1 finale as Auntie Bex we nearly lost it! Wasn’t it not too long ago that we were gasping at the news of Holt’s hiatus from the show? Nevertheless, Rebekah’s back! But for how long?
Plec explained that Holt will be “delicately weaved” into Season 2.
“This is not the last we’ve seen of Rebekah and the baby, but it’s also not going to be a primary storyline,” she admitted. “Right now her role is Aunty Beks, and the protection of and the secret surrounding that baby is paramount to her. So she will be off doing that, and we won’t necessarily be following that storyline right off, but we will get to see her again.”
2. More Family Fun: Rebekah isn’t the only one turning heads with her return to the supernatural drama. At the end of the Season 1 finale, fans noticed two unfamiliar characters getting resurrected. They stood over a grave and made a curious comment about how resting in peace isn’t very peaceful. Who is the mysterious duo? Fans immediately predicted that they unknown characters had to be Esther and Finn.
“I’m not going to confirm nor deny, but I do think that anybody with any history of ‘The Vampire Diaries’ will probably make a similar guess, and from knowledge of the show and the characters, it’s probably a pretty good guess,” Plec hinted.
3. Sibling Rivalries: If you thought Klaus and Elijah had a tumultuous relationship just see what happens when their little brother, Kol, comes back into the picture! Oh yeah, if you thought he was dead… think again! Plec teased that Kol’s return if definitely possible.
“I think there is definitely potential for Kol,” she said when asked of the subject of a family reunion in Season 2. “Although he’s probably not the one the brothers would want to see back any more than Finn given that when he died, they mourned him for all of 7 minutes because of his axe to grind.”
4. Are You Howling For Drama?: Plec wasn’t shy when she revealed Season 2 would be werewolf-centric.
“Season 2 is going to begin with what we call the werewolf occupation, which is Francesca thinks she’s in charge and has been actually carrying on making rules and exiling vampires and doing all kinds of nasty things, so the first thing on the table is of course going to have to be revenge,” she explained. “And then if and when that’s completed, the question is what becomes of those wolves? There’s a lot of wolves that Klaus was aligned with that were all looking to Hayley as their queen, but now she’s no longer a werewolf, she’s a hybrid, and there’s no love lost there for that species.”
Plec went on to say that the pack will be stranded without a leader, which means someone will have to step in and take the role of alpha – but who?
“Will it be Jackson? Will it be Oliver? Will Hayley be able to win her way back? What’s going to solidify these wolves in one group, or now that they’ve won the Quarter, are they going to start in-fighting as well?”
5. New Season, New Villain: If you thought all the witches of New Orleans were dead… think again. Come the Season 2, Klaus, Hayley and the rest of the coven-fearing gang will find themselves up against another broom-stick riding foe – and her name is Lenore. Lenore is said to be a new “salt-of-the-Earth” kind of witch and will apparently be quite the new enemy for Klaus.
Read our theory on who Lenore is here and stay tune for more Season 2 scoop on “The Originals.”