Starz will be finishing summer with the new series “Outlander,” a historical drama. The show will follow Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe), an English WWII combat nurse, as she gets sent back in time to 18th century Scotland. “Outlander” will premiere on Starz on August 9, but first, there are a few things to know about the TV series:
1. It’s Based On A Bestselling Book Series: "Outlander" has a huge following already. Author Diana Gabaldon just released her eighth book in the series, “Written In My Own Heart’s Blood.” The series started with “Outlander” in 1991, so some fans have been waiting over 20 years for this adaptation.
2. They Actually Filmed In Scotland: Scotland is basically a minor character in the show. The opening credits are even a little bit of a love letter to the country's beauty. Check out the opening sequence, via Entertainment Weekly, below:
Continue Reading Below
3. It’s Not Just A Romance Tale: Though Claire’s love story with Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan) is a large part of the story, showrunner Ronald D. Moore wants to focus on the action too. "I think of it as an adventure story," Moore said at the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel. "I think what appeals to me is writing and producing a show that's not about contemporary reality."
4. The First Season Will Be Split In Two Parts: Fans will only see the first eight episodes of "Outlander" this summer, but the full season has 16. The second half of Season 1 will likely premiere in early 2015, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
5. Casting Troubles: Finding the heartthrob was easy, but the search for the heroine took a while. Ron thought that Jamie would be the hardest to cast, but Heughan was the first person cast in the whole Starz series. Moore said at SDCC that Claire was actually the hardest character to cast.
“It was the great Scarlett O’Hara search for Claire," Moore explained. "I think I underestimated how complex the role was and how much we were asking of an actress.”
6. Changes From The Books: Ron Moore doesn’t want to completely change the book. While fans at Comic-Con wanted to compare this show to what he did with “Battlestar Galactica,” Moore explained that "Outlander" is a completely different job.
“This project was different," Moore said. "My task here is not to reinterpret the material, it’s to adapt it.”
He made it clear that he wants to please fans of the book and make the show enjoyable for new fans.
7. Early Screening Of The 'Outlander' Premiere: Audiences will be able to watch the first episode of "Outlander" a week early without having to have access to the Starz channel. The network announced that the pilot will be available on various digital platforms starting August 2. Check out the latest trailer for the premiere on the Starz website.
"Outlander" will premiere on August 9 on Starz. Will you be tuning in for the historical drama? Sound off in the comments section!