When “Outlander” Season 2 premieres on Starz Saturday, fans are going to find the time travel drama looks very different from the way it did in Season 1. There will a new setting, new costumes and plenty of new characters. Of course, one thing remains the same: Jamie (Sam Heughan) and Claire (Caitriona Balfe) are at the center of it all. Check out below what they’ll have to confront in Season 2.
1. France — Jamie and Claire have decided to head to Paris in an attempt to stop the Battle of Culloden. To change the future (or the past, depending on one’s perspective), they need to infiltrate high society. This means the series will take on a whole new look, with different sets and much more vibrant, elaborate costumes.
2. Jamie’s Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder — After being brutally raped by Black Jack Randall (Tobias Menzies), Jamie won’t know how to deal with the trauma. It’ll even cause more stress in his marriage.
“Claire’s pregnant and she almost has to put that aside or have that as her private journey while she tries to help him heal,” Balfe told E Online. “It’s wonderfully complex, and they’re struggling with their own demons or their own issues separately but still trying to come together and still trying to retain that bond that they have.”
3. Black Jack Isn’t Gone — Black Jack is not gone for good. Although he was stampeded by the herd of cattle directed to the prison by Claire and left behind in Scotland (for now), he plays a big part in Jamie and Claire’s marital troubles. “It’s important to remember that Black Jack lives in this relationship whether or not he’s alive in life,” Balfe told IndieWire. “He’s very much present; he’s continuing to poison what they have, their intimacy.”
4. Back to the Future — It’ll be difficult for Claire to forget Black Jack, given that her first husband looks just like him. The trailer already shows Claire waking up in the 20th century with Frank (also Menzies), and she looks very upset to see him. Watch the “Outlander” Season 2 trailer below:
5. Brianna and Roger — Readers of Diana Gabaldon’s novels are very excited about their arrivals. Roger Wakefield (Richard Rankin) will return in the later episodes of Season 2. However, he isn’t the young boy that viewers saw at the beginning of Season 1. He’ll be a full-grown man, and he’ll interact a lot with Claire’s daughter Brianna (Sophie Skelton).
6. Changes — Executive producer Ron Moore began warning fans right after the Season 1 finale that changes had to be made in Season 2. “There will be twists and turns that aren’t in the book,” Moore warned while speaking to Deadline last May. “The second book is more complex than the first book is. It’s a little tougher challenge to adapt it.”
7. Diana Gabaldon’s Episode — Still, it appears Gabaldon approves of the changes from her underlying work. She even wrote an episode.
8. Watch It Now — The Season 2 premiere was released Thursday online and through video-on-demand platforms. See more information here.
“Outlander” Season 2 premieres on Starz Saturday, April 9, at 9 p.m. EDT.