Movember is the annual awareness event where men grow mustaches throughout the month of November to spread awareness for men’s health issues, particularly prostate cancer. This year, Nick Offerman, best known as Ron Swanson on NBC's “Parks and Recreation” has released a public service announcement-type video on how to grow a manly stache for MadeMan.com.
“[Movember is] the month formerly known as November, where men proudly let their masculinity shine by growing a handsome mustache in support of men’s cancer research,” reads the Made Man website’s Movember page. The month-long awareness event also goes by No Shave November and Novembeard, where men grow out full beards rather than mustaches.
The man who plays TVs most masculine and government-hating Director of the Parks Department clams that growing out his famous upper lip hair took “years of training,” before going through a list of things he did to grow his mustache. They range from having Tibetan monks comb it like a Zen garden to washing it with whale oil every day.
Despite giving his sound advice, Offerman doesn’t think members of the general public can pull off a mustache like his. “The bulk of you will end this month with something atrocious on your lip,” Offerman says pessimistically, adding “The rest of you will be passable.”
Offerman also offers “Beginners tips for stache growth,” in the viral video. The tips consist of manly activities like “Hammer a nail,” "Tolerate a crying baby,” “Smell wood,” and “Sweat.”
“So get ready for the single manliest journey of your life,” Offerman states confidently. “And be sure to tell your friends: this mustache is a Movember mustache.”
Activists and mustache enthusiasts interested in participating can register to help bring awareness to men’s health issues at the official Movember website.
In 2011, the United States Movember campaign managed to raise $15 million, according to the Movember site. 82.3 percent of those funds went to men’s health programs, with the remaining 17.7 percent going to funding costs, admissions costs and retaining funds.
- WWE Championship Match CM Punk vs. Ryback TLC Match On First Live 'Raw' Of 2013; The Rock Return Dates
- No Pants Subway Ride 2013 Hits NYC And Cities Around The World [CITY LIST, VIDEO]
- Gloria Pall, Considered Too Hot For 1950’s TV, Dies Of Heart Failure
- Prison For Twitter Insult? Kuwaiti Sentences Another Social Media Activist