While fans and co-stars of longtime “Fast & Furious” actor Paul Walker mourned his shocking passing this weekend, studio executives behind the mega action franchise were already hard at work deciding what to do with the next installment, “Fast & Furious 7,” also known as “Fast Seven.”
According to a report from the Hollywood Reporter Sunday, despite losing its leading star, Universal is still planning to complete filming and release the franchise’s seventh installment. Director James Wan and Universal executives met early Sunday, allegedly agreeing to halt production on the film but not completely abandoned the project which has been in production since September.
“Walker, along with the rest of the cast and crew of 'Fast 7,' had been scheduled to return to Atlanta on Sunday to resume shooting the big-budget film, which features extensive car racing,” said the report, adding, “Those plans are on hold until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.”
While “Fast Seven” was originally scheduled for a July 11, 2014, release, THR reported Walker wasn’t finished shooting his reprised role as Brian O'Conner, a cop turned street racer in the franchise. According to the report, Walker, 40, along with the rest of the “Fast Seven” cast,” was scheduled to shoot "key scenes" featuring the late movie star on location in Abu Dhabi in January. TMZ reported similar findings Sunday, claiming that most of the upcoming scenes were to feature Walker and the film will now require “major rewrites.”
THR reported that despite multiple rumored reports that the film will still be released, Universal has declined to comment on future plans for “Fast & Furious 7" and the entire "Fast & Furious" franchise.
On Nov. 30, Walker’s team confirmed via the actor’s official Facebook page that he passed away following a car accident in Santa Clarita, Calif., Saturday. "It is with a truly heavy heart that we must confirm that Paul Walker passed away today in a tragic car accident while attending a charity event for his organization Reach Out Worldwide,” said a spokesperson on the actor’s page, adding, “He was a passenger in a friend's car, in which both lost their lives. We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news.”
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult: 'I'm Her Bystander,' Says JLaw's Boyfriend
- 'Fifty Shades Darker' Movie Rumors: Dana Brunetti Discusses 'Fifty Shades' Sequel
- 30,000-Plus Duraflame Space Heaters Recalled; How To Get A Full Refund
- Did Kylie Jenner Get A Nose Job? Before/After Photos Of 'Kardashian' Star