The search for those responsible for last week's deadly bombing in the Philippines has apparently not yielded any solid leads, but that's not stopping the nation's law enforcement from continuing its investigation. The Philippine National Police released a composite sketch Wednesday night local time of one of the men believed to have detonated the explosive in Davao City that killed 14 people and injuring up to 70 more.
While the suspected bomber's name was not released, the Philippines Star reported that legal authorities have announced that witnesses described the man as being slim, 5 feet-7 inches tall and 30 years of age.
The suspect has been identified by investigators as the man who placed a bomb concealed in a bag under a massage chair at the Roxas Avenue night market. He apparently caught the eye of witnesses because he was reportedly wearing a mask, even as he got a massage.
The Philippines news article makes no references to the other alleged suspects or whether the man in the sketch is a member of Abu Sayyeb, a faction of the Islamic State group in Southeast Asia which claimed responsibility for the fatal blasts.
As many as four suspects were being pursued by Filipino law enforcement, according to an Associated Press report. CNN reported there were three suspects and that Islamic extremism was being looked into, but a clear motive for the attack remained elusive.
"We are not new to this kind. It is always connected with the Abu Sayyaf or in Central Mindanao," said Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, the son of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte. "But this is not the first time that Davao City has been sacrificed in the altar of violence."
Duterte declared a countrywide "state of lawlessness" Saturday after he called the bombing an act of terror, Asia One reported. "We will treat this as a police matter about terrorism," he said Saturday morning while briefing the media.