- Terrorists Storm Nigeria College Dorm, Kill 50
September 29 2013 2:19 PM
At least 50 students were killed in their sleep by suspected Boko Haram militants on Sunday.
- Soft Targets: Kenya Mall Shooting Raises Fears Of Similar Atrocities In India
September 26 2013 12:45 PM
Indian shopping centers have already increased security efforts since the 2008 attacks in Mumbai.
- No More Drones At The Airport As Djibouti Pulls Plug On US Military
September 26 2013 7:50 AM
The drones have been banished to the desert, but Djibouti remains a major hub for U.S. counterterrorism ops in the Horn of Africa.
- Kenyan Shopping Mall Terror Attack: Were Indians Targeted?
September 26 2013 5:46 AM
Between 70,000 and 100,000 people of Indian origin -- constituting less than 1 percent of the population -- live in Kenya.
- Kenyan President Declares Victory In Nairobi Mall Siege
September 25 2013 3:53 AM
But, the death toll could exceed the current estimate as operations are under way to retrieve bodies of the victims and militants.
- Who Is Elif Yavuz? Pregnant Clinton Foundation Staffer, Partner Ross Langdon Among 69 Killed In Kenya Westgate Shopping Mall Attack
September 24 2013 1:56 PM
Elif Yavuz was based in Tanzania for the Clinton Foundation but wanted to be in Kenya as her due date neared because she felt the country was safe.
- Fresh Gunfire, Explosion Reported At Nairobi Shopping Mall
September 24 2013 4:25 AM
Militants continue to hold some civilians hostage in the Westgate mall, an official said.
- Nairobi Massacre Illuminates Importance Of Security In Terrorist-Prone Parts of Africa
September 23 2013 6:23 PM
The massacre in Nairobi illuminates the necessity of the security state that has gripped Abuja, Nigeria, in response to terror attacks there.
- Kenya Says Westgate Mall Siege Is Over
September 23 2013 5:18 PM
Authorities say they have taken full control from the attackers and no more hostages are being held.
- After Westgate: What The Terrorist Attack Means For Kenya
September 23 2013 9:25 AM
Kenya was already facing political, economic and social challenges before this weekend's tragedy.
- American Citizens Not Involved in Nairobi Attack: Al-Shabab Leader
September 23 2013 2:54 AM
The FBI has launched an investigation into claims that Americans were part of the al-Shabab attack on a Nairobi mall.
- Nairobi Mall Attack In Pictures
September 22 2013 12:55 PM
The standoff at a mall in Nairobi continues, with at least 59 dead and 175 wounded. Warning: Content is graphic.
- Nairobi Siege Continues; At Least 68 Dead
September 22 2013 8:56 AM
Kenyan troops, aided by Israelis, have surrounded Somali militants holding hostages.
- Nyaope: Cheap Drug Cocktail Ravaging Black Townships of South Africa
September 20 2013 11:39 AM
Nyaope has become an integral part of many township-dwellers’ daily lives.
- In Rwanda, A Strange Election For A Unique Country
September 16 2013 10:07 AM
Rwandans went to the polls on Monday to elect a new Chamber of Deputies, and the ruling party stands to win yet again.
- Gay Life In Nigeria, One Of The World’s Most Homophobic Nations
September 13 2013 10:09 PM
Gay life in Nigeria is evolving, even as the country considers a measure to make homosexuality a crime punishable by 14 years in prison.
- Mechanical Cows For Kenya? New Milk ATM Pumps Out Dairy
September 13 2013 3:16 PM
Never taken out milk from an ATM? You can in Kenya, where a vending machine is helping consumers adjust to a dairy tax hike.
- At Europe’s Door: Black African Migrants Trapped In Hellish Limbo in Morocco
September 12 2013 1:03 PM
Black people in Morocco have even been the victims of violence perpetrated not only by Moroccan police and security officers, but by ordinary citizens as well.
- Most Muslims Don’t Approve Of Islamic Extremism
September 12 2013 5:34 AM
Clear majorities of the Muslim population in many of the countries surveyed were opposed to violence in the name of Islam.
- In Kenya, Water Reservoir Discoveries Bring Hope To Drought-Prone Regions
September 11 2013 12:50 PM
Satellite exploration technologies have uncovered massive aquifers in northern Kenya, where drought can kill.