The Americas Politics
- ‘March Against Monsanto’ Draws As Many As 2 Million Globally
May 25 2013 11:30 PM
Demonstrators targeted the Monsanto Co. because of its historical role in introducing genetically modified products into the food supply.
- Republicans Feel Sting Of US Budget Sequestration
May 24 2013 7:04 PM
Republicans were 14 percentage points more likely than Democrats were to report they had experienced negative impacts from the sequester.
- Latin America's Tango With Inequality
May 24 2013 2:05 PM
Latin America's inequality rates are lowering, but in the U.S. they are increasing. What can America learn from its southern neighbors?
- Latin American Economic Alliance Looks To China, As US Is A No-Show
May 23 2013 4:42 PM
Latin America's fastest-growing economies seek increasing trade relations with China. Where does this leave the U.S.?
- New Cayman Government, Same Cayman Hedge Fund Rules
May 23 2013 2:24 PM
A new party is poised to take control of the elite tax haven. But business as usual is likely to go on for hedge funds based there.
- Why Doesn't Brazil Want Cuban Doctors?
May 22 2013 6:46 PM
Brazil announced that it would bring in Cuban doctors, but then reversed that decision.
- Venezuela’s Toilet Paper Crisis, And 3 Other Scarce Goods
May 22 2013 4:08 PM
The Venezuelan government announced it will spend $79m for basic toiletries. What else have they run out of?
- Guatemala’s Efraín Ríos Montt: Genocidal Dictator Or Not?
May 22 2013 5:49 AM
Guatemala's former dictator made headlines for his genocide conviction, a Latin American first. But then the affair became more complicated.
- Peru’s Highway To The Amazon: Is It Worth It?
May 21 2013 9:46 AM
A project to build a highway divides a protected natural area, and Peru's society.
- Guatemala Court Overturns Former Military Ruler Rios Montt’s Conviction
May 21 2013 9:14 AM
Guatemala’s highest court on Monday annulled a conviction against former dictator Efrain Rios Montt.
- Where In The World Are The Military Drones?
May 18 2013 10:20 AM
The U.S. has by far the greatest variety of military drones in the world. Check out the other 59 countries that also possess military drones.
- 80 Bangladeshi Workers Rescued In Brasilia
May 17 2013 6:08 PM
The illegal immigrants were living in slaverylike conditions on the outskirts of the Brazilian capital.