- Boom Bye Bye: Murder Of Cross-Dresser Lifts Lid On Jamaica’s Violent Homophobia
August 02 2013 12:06 PM
Homophobia and intolerance of non-traditional sexual practices run deep in Jamaican culture.
- Newspaper Editor Arrested In Venezuela For Criticizing The Regime
August 02 2013 11:07 AM
Two editors of newspapers opposed to Nicolás Maduro's government are in trouble.
- A Latin American Amsterdam: Uruguay’s First Steps Toward Legalizing Marijuana
August 01 2013 2:42 PM
Uruguay's Congress voted to pass a bill that would make it legal for citizens to grow, distribute and buy cannabis.
- Uruguay's Lawmakers Approve Marijuana Bill
August 01 2013 8:50 AM
The use of marijuana is already legal in Uruguay but this bill would let citizens grow and sell the drug under certain restrictions.
- Rafael Correa: 'I Knew Hugo Chávez Did Not Have Much Time'
August 01 2013 6:21 AM
Ecuador's Rafael Correa revealed that knew about Chávez's deteriorating health months before the president died.
- EU Implementing Trade Deal With Honduras, Nicaragua And Panama
July 31 2013 4:16 PM
Joint labor and environmental standards underpin part of the agreement, with the three Central American countries expected to benefit more from the pact than the EU.
- Brazilian Priest, Excommunicated Gay People Defense, Seeks Justice
July 31 2013 3:24 PM
After Pope Francis spoke about accepting gay people, a Brazilian priest excommunicated for defending homosexuality wants to be readmitted.
- Protests In Peru: Will Humala Make It To 3 Years As President?
July 31 2013 8:18 AM
As Peru got ready to celebrate its independence day, the country saw another spike in demonstrations calling for the end of government corruption.
- More Than Half Of Mexicans Live In Poverty
July 30 2013 12:30 PM
The country's economy is growing steadily, but the number of poor people in Mexico rose by a half million in the last two years.
- Get a Degree In Chavismo? Venezuela Plans Hugo Chávez Institute
July 30 2013 5:52 AM
The center will study the ideology of the late comandante -- but first it has to define one.
- Will Capture Of Los Zetas’ Leader Start A New Drug Cartel War?
July 27 2013 11:19 AM
Miguel Angel Treviño, leader of drug mega cartel Los Zetas, was arrested on July 16. What does this mean for the war on drugs?
- ‘Queen Of The Pacific’ To Be Returned Home To Mexico From US
July 26 2013 3:23 PM
After five years of waiting for her sentence, notorious drug smuggler Sandra Avila Beltran, alias Queen of the Pacific, will be deported to Mexico.
- Candelaria Massacre: Brazil Marks 20th Anniversary Of Police Murders Of Street Children
July 25 2013 11:26 AM
Of the nine people (some of them off-duty military police officers) believed to have perpetrated the murders, only three were ever convicted and imprisoned.
- Yet Another Brazil: Peru’s Surprising Social Uprising
July 24 2013 1:49 PM
Peru is the last Latin American country to experience social upheaval, demanding more transparency from institutions.
- Protests In Brazil Restart Over Pope Francis' Visit
July 23 2013 4:33 PM
Pope Francis landed in Rio de Janeiro to the welcome of a million faithful -- and protests over how much his visit cost the embattled state.
- Chile's Right In Disarray Ahead Of Presidential Election
July 22 2013 2:53 PM
After candidate Pablo Longueira's resignation due to depression, Chile's right-wing coalition can't find a name to agree on.
- 2 MiG-21 Fighter Jets Found On Seized North Korea Cargo Ship
July 22 2013 12:56 PM
Authorities have found two Soviet-era MiG-21 fighter jets aboard a North Korea-flagged ship seized this month as it tried to pass through the Panama Canal after departing from Cuba.
- A First For A Pope: Francis Carries His Own Bag
July 22 2013 11:36 AM
Pope Francis' trip to Brazil made headlines minutes after it started as the Holy Father carries his own bag.
- Depression Claims Chilean Right-Wing Presidential Candidate
July 19 2013 3:48 PM
After the resignation of their presidential candidate, Chile's conservative coalition is in a race to find a new leader.
- Surrey Woman Finds Mother Alive 52 Years After Her Disappearance
July 19 2013 12:55 PM
Linda Evans recently found that her mother, Lucy Johnson, who disappeared in 1961 and has been missing for 52 years, is actually alive and well in the Yukon.