- A Cocaine-Free Colombia? Coca Plantations Reduced By 25 Percent
August 09 2013 1:42 PM
Colombia's cocaine crops dropped hugely, meaning that the world likely has a new No. 1coca producer, neighboring Peru.
- Latin American Census Crisis: Chile May Annul Flawed 2012 Count
August 09 2013 6:01 AM
How do you miss 1 million people? Apparently, that's just what the Chilean government did.
- Venezuela’s Nicolás Maduro Is Here To Stay
August 08 2013 2:10 PM
Venezuela's highest court ruled in favor of the man who succeeded Chávez, saying there isn't enough evidence of corruption in the April election.
- Changing Demographics May Spell Trouble For Bolivia's Evo Morales
August 07 2013 4:18 PM
Bolivian president, and U.S. adversary, Evo Morales is a champion of indigenous people. But suddenly, Bolivia has a lot fewer of them.
- A Failed State: Drug-Related Gang Violence Tearing Apart Honduras
August 07 2013 10:39 AM
Nicaragua has the highest murder rate in the globe, most of it fueled by drug trafficking and gang violence
- Argentina Explosion Kills Up To 6
August 06 2013 3:52 PM
Reports varied from one death to up to six killed in a gas explosion that rocked Rosario, Argentina's third-largest city.
- A New Era In Iran-Latin American Relationships Thanks To Rouhani?
August 06 2013 5:59 AM
The arrival of a new, moderate president in Iran might mean a new dawn for the Iranian-Latin American partnership.
- Panama Warns Canal Users: Don't Pull A North Korea
August 05 2013 2:00 PM
After the incident with illegal Cuban cargo bound for North Korea, Panama tells all countries using the canal that they need to come clean.
- Requiem For A Dream? Contradictions In Planning Nicaragua Canal Arise
August 05 2013 1:34 PM
The Panama Canal's planned rival is in jeopardy as the Nicaraguan government disagrees with the Chinese builder it formerly hailed.
- Do You Want To Be An American? Play The Game!
August 02 2013 11:10 PM
More than 700,000 immigrants were naturalized as U.S. citizens in 2012.
- Chile’s Biggest Mining Accident Ever Was Nobody’s Fault
August 02 2013 4:25 PM
Three years after the mining rescue that grabbed the world's attention, a investigation said that the mine's collapse was nobody's fault.
- Boom Bye Bye: Murder Of Cross-Dresser Lifts Lid On Jamaica’s Violent Homophobia
August 02 2013 12:06 PM
Homophobia and intolerance of non-traditional sexual practices run deep in Jamaican culture.
- Newspaper Editor Arrested In Venezuela For Criticizing The Regime
August 02 2013 11:07 AM
Two editors of newspapers opposed to Nicolás Maduro's government are in trouble.
- A Latin American Amsterdam: Uruguay’s First Steps Toward Legalizing Marijuana
August 01 2013 2:42 PM
Uruguay's Congress voted to pass a bill that would make it legal for citizens to grow, distribute and buy cannabis.
- Uruguay's Lawmakers Approve Marijuana Bill
August 01 2013 8:50 AM
The use of marijuana is already legal in Uruguay but this bill would let citizens grow and sell the drug under certain restrictions.
- Rafael Correa: 'I Knew Hugo Chávez Did Not Have Much Time'
August 01 2013 6:21 AM
Ecuador's Rafael Correa revealed that knew about Chávez's deteriorating health months before the president died.
- EU Implementing Trade Deal With Honduras, Nicaragua And Panama
July 31 2013 4:16 PM
Joint labor and environmental standards underpin part of the agreement, with the three Central American countries expected to benefit more from the pact than the EU.
- Brazilian Priest, Excommunicated Gay People Defense, Seeks Justice
July 31 2013 3:24 PM
After Pope Francis spoke about accepting gay people, a Brazilian priest excommunicated for defending homosexuality wants to be readmitted.
- Protests In Peru: Will Humala Make It To 3 Years As President?
July 31 2013 8:18 AM
As Peru got ready to celebrate its independence day, the country saw another spike in demonstrations calling for the end of government corruption.
- More Than Half Of Mexicans Live In Poverty
July 30 2013 12:30 PM
The country's economy is growing steadily, but the number of poor people in Mexico rose by a half million in the last two years.