The Americas Politics
- Chavez's Heir Maduro Remains People's Favorite: Poll
March 19 2013 4:54 AM
Venezuela’s acting president, Nicolas Maduro, commands a 14% lead over his rival ahead of the the Apr. 14 presidential election.
- Maduro Says CIA Plotting To Kill Capriles To 'Create Chaos'
March 18 2013 12:43 PM
Venezuela's interim president, Nicolas Maduro, has accused the U.S. of plotting to assassinate opponent Henrique Capriles Radonski.
- 'How I Would Like A Church ... For The Poor!': Pope
March 16 2013 4:58 PM
The newly elected leader of the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church addressed more than 6,000 media workers Saturday.
- Cuban Blogger Yoani Sanchez Talks Press, Freedom
March 16 2013 11:07 AM
Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez made her first public appearance in the U.S. at Columbia University in New York this week.
- Was Pope Francis Complicit In The Crimes Of Argentina's Dictatorship?
March 15 2013 8:04 PM
Three women kidnapped during Argentina's Dirty War recall how the Catholic Church, and perhaps the new pope himself, aided a dictatorship.
- Pelosi Questions Value Of Keystone XL Pipeline
March 15 2013 4:54 PM
House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi said the controversial project would not reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil or create a substantial number of jobs.
- Falkland Islands Delegation Wants US Support
March 15 2013 1:51 PM
The delegation of lawmakers from the Falkland Islands is in the U.S. to appeal to government officials to support the British territory's sovereignty claims disputed by Argentina.
- Will Roman Catholic Pope Francis Be A Friend To Muslims?
March 15 2013 12:46 PM
Bergoglio reportedly has long enjoyed good relations with the Muslim community in Argentina.
- Goal! Pope Francis Is A Huge Soccer Fan
March 15 2013 8:39 AM
San Lorenzo is overwhelmed by its most prominent fan’s ascension to the papacy.
- The Postmodern Catholic-Jewish Dialogue
March 15 2013 6:17 AM
Cardinal Bergoglio was hailed for good relations with the Jewish community of Argentina, the largest in Latin America.
- Argentine Soccer Legend Maradona Praises Pope Francis
March 14 2013 2:46 PM
Maradona, now 52, is widely considered one of the greatest football players in history.
- Was Pope Francis Complicit During Argentina's Dirty War?
March 14 2013 2:26 PM
When Pope Francis was Jorge Bergoglio, he may have been complicit in atrocious human rights violations during Argentina's dictatorship.