The Americas Politics
- Will The Argentine Pope Get Involved In The Falkland Islands Dispute?
March 14 2013 12:48 PM
It is unclear what the Pope’s views on the Falklands are.
- Venezuela's Maduro: Chavez 'Convinced' Jesus To Pick Bergoglio
March 14 2013 11:49 AM
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said that the late Hugo Chavez convinced Jesus to allow Argentine Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio to become Pope Francis.
- Francis I And Other Original Pope Names
March 13 2013 4:47 PM
The name Francis in Roman Catholicism is most strongly associated with St. Francis of Assisi, who came from a wealthy family but shunned material possessions.
- In Argentina, A Mixed Reaction To Pope Francis
March 13 2013 4:33 PM
Argentina's Catholics reacted joyfully to news that Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio would become Pope Francis, but not everyone is quite so devoted.
- Pope Francis: Conservative On Spiritual Matters, Liberal On Social Justice For The Poor
March 13 2013 4:27 PM
Bergoglio holds conservative views on abortion, euthanasia, homosexuality and contraception.
- Who Is The New Pontiff? Jorge Mario Bergoglio Of Argentina Is Pope Francis I
March 13 2013 3:39 PM
The 76-year-old Pontiff, the first Jesuit pope, was born in Buenos Aires in 1936 to an Italian railway worker and his wife.
- Cuba's Courageous Blogger
March 13 2013 1:12 PM
Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez will make her first U.S. appearance Thursday as part of her world tour.
- Falkland Islands Delegation Wants British Sun To Continue To Rise There
March 13 2013 12:23 PM
A Falkland Islands delegation is on a W. Hemisphere tour for international recognition of the islands as a self-governing U.K. territory.
- Greenland Election: Autonomy Comes At What Price?
March 13 2013 11:37 AM
At the center of the election lay the crucial issue of the development of Greenland’s considerable natural resources.
- Venezuela To Probe Chavez Murder Claims
March 13 2013 7:37 AM
Venezuela is setting up a government inquiry to investigate suspicions of foul play shrouding the death of President Hugo Chavez.
- Maduro Ramps Up Anti-US Rhetoric
March 12 2013 1:03 PM
Following the death of Chavez, Venezuela appears to be engaged in a "diplomacy war" with the U.S., on the eve of new elections.
- The Socialist Experiment And Chavez's Death
March 12 2013 10:32 AM
Uruguay’s President José Mujica has said that the socialist ideology of the late Venezuelan president will persist as a political movement.