- Egypt is struggling to justify its recent expansion of the Suez Canal. Now, its longtime rival Panama has ratcheted up the pressure with an expansion of its own waterway.
- President-elect Rodrigo Duterte even jokingly threatened that defiant men would be castrated and reiterated that people should have at most three children.
- The military transport flight was on its regular route to the eastern Malaysian state of Sabah when it was intercepted over Natuna Islands.
- In a letter to the Australian prime minister, an international team of scientists said greater efforts are needed to protect the iconic Great Barrier Reef.
- The country’s top official for U.S. affairs dismissed criticism over Wednesday’s missile launch and said that Pyongyang’s real provocation was coming from Washington.