Middle East Politics
- Turkey: Another (Yawn) Middle-Class Bourgeoisie Protest
June 07 2013 1:08 PM
Major protests are largely driven by the aspirations and interests of the bourgeoisie middle-class.
- Saudi Arabia’s ‘Salman Rushdie’ Released From Custody
June 06 2013 3:38 PM
Hamad’s case raised debate over the use of social media in the conservative oil kingdom.
- Another Day, Another Massacre In Iraq
June 05 2013 11:06 AM
14 travelers, mostly Sunni Muslims and soldiers, were stopped and executed in Iraq on Wednesday.
- Transportation Secy Ray LaHood's Son Among 16 Americans Convicted In Egypt
June 05 2013 2:58 AM
An Egyptian court handed down jail terms to 43 activists, 16 of them Americans, in a case against foreign-funded non-profit groups.
- Erdogan's Deputy Apologizes, But Turkish Protests Continue
June 04 2013 9:48 PM
A deputy premier apologized for initial repression in Istanbul, but demonstrations continued around the country.
- What Is This Whole 'Çapuling' Thing?
June 04 2013 5:24 PM
"Çapuling," or "chappuling," is a term that has taken on a life of its own as anti-government protests sweep across Turkey. What does "capuling" mean?
- Israel Restricts Immigrants From Sending Funds Home
June 04 2013 1:55 PM
The Knesset has passed a bill that will severely restrict the amount of money any undocumented immigrant can send home.
- Turkish Protesters Share Positive Side Using Vine
June 04 2013 1:25 PM
Protesters took to the streets in opposition to the government. There were violent clashes with police, and also a lighter side.
- Damascus Diary: Time To Fear The Islamists. Or Not?
June 04 2013 11:51 AM
The conventional wisdom is that Syria's civil war is now a sectarian religious war. But many Syrians say the sectarians don't belong there.
- ‘Lady In Red’ Photo Becomes Symbol Of Resistance For Turks
June 04 2013 11:47 AM
A photo of a woman in a red dress being sprayed with tear gas during the protests in Turkey has gone viral on social media networks.
- Jordan Blacks Out Nearly 300 News Websites
June 04 2013 7:47 AM
Jordan has blocked more than 300 unlicensed news websites under a controversial law that holds websites responsible for reader comments.
- US Expands Sanctions Against Iran; N.Korea Remains Defiant
June 04 2013 2:40 AM
President Obama imposed new sanctions on Iran’s national currency and auto industry ahead of Iran's June 14 presidential elections.